Help! Suntour Cassette Splines vs XC Pro Freehub

Singletrack74

Devout Dirtbag
I’m patiently trying to gather the last few bits for my 1990 Explosif build, and I THOUGHT I was finally there...but turns out I’m not :facepalm:

I have a set of non-microdrive NOS XC Pro hubs, but I am now getting annoyed that I’ve twice ordered casettex which have arrived only to not for the freehub body. The first turned out to be a Shimano compatible Suntour manufactured cassette for a Shimano freehub. The seller is taking it back, so no big deal.

Yesterday I finally received a non-MD 7 speed Suntour cassette which I ordered from the states with a definite assurance it would fit...but, of course, you can guess what happened - it doesn’t fit either!

This is definitely a Suntour item - it is attached by its’ last sprocket - but the splines are different to the hub. The hub has constantly spaces splines, all of the same width. The cassette has one spline which is wider for positioning, like Shimano have, so the two are clearly not compatible...

What is going on here? I’m wondering if the hub has been fitted with a weird freehub body?

I’m really desperate to start building so please can anyone offer advice? I have been googling and hunting in the forum but can’t find any reference to different spline widths....

Thanks folks :roll:

Re:

Just re-read again
You have a non-PowerFlow freehub, so before 90/91 ish (can check the year) EDIT 1992!
These are not compatible with the PowerFlow cassettes (i.e. similar to HG in Shimano world with ramps etc. The arrow and spline difference is needed to make sure you pop in on correctly.)

You have three choices
Find an older style cassette (you'll not have the ramping profiles, just called AP, not AP-II iirc).
Fit a newer freehub, they are all compatible.
Get a different hub.

EDIT damned autoword predictive whatsits

I have a feeling, but probably want to align it all up first, you could file the extra bit off near the arrow to make it fit on the older freehubs.

Hmmm, ok - weird, as I specifically recall my Explosif BITD had a Powerflo cassette fitted (as I was guttted when the yellow sticker came off!), but maybe th3 freehub body got changed at the time I fitted that cassette....

Anyhoo, sounds like the more economical option may be to find a body, as even the complete hubs are cheaper than cassettes!

So, ANY 7-speed Suntour freehub body with the indexing spline will fit?

Latest posts

Back