Help! Need to buy a PC today advice needed. Dead desktop

my old hp pavilion is now in the bin, the dell 6000 I had outlasted it, the hp used to cook my legs

My Dell cooked my legs, ate batteries for fun, and I don't mean single charges, but the battery and Dell replacement. The charger fell apart, and the replacement never fitted properly. My dad has one and similarly can't use it without it being plugged in. Worst computer I ever bought, and I was pleased it was stolen. Just a shame they also stole my old Vaio and the other stuff.

My Dell was only an Inspiron 1600, but I hated it, and will never buy Dell again.

Don't buy office, just download either open office or libreoffice, same funtionality just doesn't have the same price tag.

Carl

The last computer I paid for was in 1999. A 486 I think. All my stuff is cast offs or bought for work. Until now. Do they have ppt and word etc? I have office pro 2003 discs with codes holograms and codes. Compatibility pack was needed for stuff done at work though.

The History Man":322wfm18 said:
The last computer I paid for was in 1999. A 486 I think. All my stuff is cast offs or bought for work. Until now. Do they have ppt and word etc? I have office pro 2003 discs with codes holograms and codes. Compatibility pack was needed for stuff done at work though.

Openoffice is compatible with all the latest (pretty sure it is, anyway) Office file formats.

If you were doing a lot of dev work in office - scripts, or app development, you'd maybe notice / have issues, but just for normal document handling / creating, I find openoffice just peachy.

Price is good, too.

I shall hold off then and give it a go. Should be able to get latest office on work licence.

The History Man":2omlowq4 said:
I shall hold off then and give it a go. Should be able to get latest office on work licence.

The two can coexist quite happily (ie it'll still be fine to install MS Office at a later date). I suspect the last one installed will assert default actions for the file extensions, though.

The History Man":em7gvc10 said:
Ok. Will it run my old hp 2410 behemoth printer scanner fax baby belling?

Looks like you were fortunate and it should do! Just let it search Windows update for drivers when it asks, after you plug the device in for the first time. It _should_ sort itself out automatically.

Printing was one thing affected by 8.1 - not every printer supported by 8 is supported by 8.1 but I never saw much publicity about that...

Back