Help my identify my GT

Avalanche would be nice too :)

Original parts (I guess because they came with the bike as I bought it second hand):
- GT steering bar
- STX MC34 cranks

I think the rest is either way more modern or way more old:
- XT 9 speed derailler
- XTR M900 hubs / Mavic 117 SUP rims
- XT 8 speed shifter/brake combo

A real mixup :?

greetings
Sven

Check your serial number again....I'm betting it's an 8H at the beginning. If it is an H and not a K it's like an Avalanche frame that was built with the final assembly at Tawian-Hodaka. Most of the lower price point GT aluminum models from that era has a serial number staring with an "S" and the final assembly was done at San Fa. With the canti cable guide on the seat tube it's likely a 96 model year Tempest or maybe Backwoods frame

If the MC-34 STX cranks are original, and along with all the design features on the frame, then that would be consistent with a 1996 GT Terramoto which was also specced with the Kore stem and GT bars.
Originally it would have had a mixture of STX and STX-RC components.

The Tempest was originally specced with Acera-X cranks and the Backwoods had Alivio cranks.

Have a look to see what you reckon here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=10499

re:

it's a tempest!

had one of thoose as a commuter, it's just played around with. the backwoods didn't have the canti guides I think, it looks exactly like my tempest it's just repainted. I have a avalanche le to and it's different and has the 6061 tubing, and is a bit lighter.

Took the tempest out in the woods, and it works great that one to but it's not very nimble.

Back