Help identifying frame

Ben1983

Retro Newbie
Hi folks,

new member, cytech mechanic here. Driving home the other day, I found this beauty thrown in a hedge with a sign saying 'free to good home'. Anyway, I couldn't leave it out in the rain, so I decided to bring it home and either restore it to it's original glory, or modify it into a wet weather warrior.

Upon having a better look in the workshop, I realised it seems an alright little build. Given the condition of the components, including the fact that everything still worked perfectly despite two flat tyres and a lot of undergrowth. The 6 speed cassette has very little wear, and even the chain had absolutely minimal stretch when gauge tested.

So in brief, the bike is running SunTour Accushift 2000 mechs, with command shifter, six speed araya wheels, and a Jae Chen set of drop bars. Not too shabby for a hedge find. The issue is that, for the life of me, I cannot place the frame. The decals have been removed, but the paint work has a depth to it that is almost certainly a factory finish. Indeed, I believe this to be a factory spec bike, that has been well cared for until its last few years.

I would really appreciate if anyone can help me to identify who made the frame- that way, if I restore it (which I think I will), I can get the frame refinished to an original spec, with graphics. Otherwise, I may just completely rebuild it, reset the chain stays, and run a modern drive train...

The bottom bracket is stamped with 'HO11458' or similiar, at 90 to the crank axel, underneath the shell. There don't appear to be any other notable marks.

Many thanks in advance for any help or assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,019
  • IMG_1068.jpeg
    IMG_1068.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,019
  • IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,019
  • IMG_1073.jpeg
    IMG_1073.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,018
Re:

Looks a bit like an MBK in the red/ white Fagor team colours , they made a few low end team inspired bikes, I think one was called the Triathalon?

Re: Re:

marshalllucky":32rj0251 said:
Looks a bit like an MBK in the red/ white Fagor team colours , they made a few low end team inspired bikes, I think one was called the Triathalon?
My instinct was MBK as well but mostly from the frame style and components, I hadn't seen the lower end team replica's so that makes it more likely for me.

Re:

Thanks so much for the opinions, I’m beginning to think this may be the case as well having seen some of their bikes online. So now I suppose the question that remains is shall I Retro-mod the bike, or restore it? I love the idea of refurbishing the AccuShift as it is such an interesting system, but I do wonder if a modern drive train would be nicer to ride? Tough choices! I’m definitely giving consideration to maintaining the Fagor colours though, and keep it as a homage to the team.

Re:

So this bit is really interesting me- the only bit that is stumping me now is the indexes command shifters. This model doesn’t have down tube bosses for DT shifters, and so I’m unsure if this was an original model with command shifters or if they are a retro fit? Is anyone familiar of an MBK or Motobecane model which didn’t have down tube shifters? May have to strip the paint a little to check they haven’t been drewed and refinished....

Back