Help identify this Marin Team frame?

Afterburners dropouts….it’s a good ‘un. If it’s less than $120 and not badly weathered, I’d consider it worth a rebuild.

Thank you all for your help, there is a lot of knowledge around here that is fore sure.

It's 120 euros. But the guy said the fork and headset needs changing. Needs investigation I guess. Near where I'm going for Christmas, wanted to know if it's worth a detour, now that I know it's a team frame, it probably is. Those are not easy to come by these days.

Just starting to look for a nice base for marin pine mountain / team or a Kona explosif. From what I understand browsing here the past year or so, those were the best back in the days, and I'd love to own one now, even if it's only for a little while.

Last edited:
I cannot see the droputs, but it doesn´t look to me like a Marin ... That detail and serial number will solve the mistery.

A clear explanation:

Bumping up this one.

The seller said it use to have a marzocchi fork which had problems with oil leaks. I'm thinking it may have had an xc600 on there.

It's strange that it has both Xt and Xtr shifters, also the grips and handlebar (Easton taper lite) are not original.

I agree with what was said above I cannot match the decal to any marin but that may be because of resolution. A lot of decals are also missing which is o viously not helping. I noted the purple bottle holder at some point which made me think of a pine mountain color scheme. Also I noted that in 95 it was possible to buy the pine mountain in rigid or suspension. I don't know if it was the same for the team. However wheels spokes seem to be anodised black not purple.

Stem would indicate a 94, but again I only see rigid out there. Don't know what stems where for marzocchi forks models.

Not titanium I think because of rust marks.

Quite the mystery. I agree the frame is likely a team 94 or 95 (after this they had v brakes anyway I think) and presence of xt components would indicate team marin.

Next step I'll check the transmission, crankset and and frame numbers.

Front wheel looks like mavic 217 ceramic rim. Cant see what the rear is. Just looks like a well upgraded and well used bike, so I doubt it’s going to match any catalogue spec. There’s a flite saddle on there too, so some good bits, but well worn

Thanks All, reference number start with M24 so it would indicate a marin team 1994.

Now the seller said he bought it new and front mech, canti and crankset are all m900 xtr which would indicate he could have been a team issue. I believe team and team issue had the same frame. He said he changed the derailleur to the to xt when it broke. I not even ced the front shifter was also Xt and brake pads were xt.

To make things more complicated the bike had been repainted once hence why the sticker did not match. Wheels were changed too and purple bar ends were swapped to silver ones. So it was hard to ID.

Have a couple of last questions:

Interestingly the fork is a manitou Easton e9. The same from marin FRS. I don't know if it was possible to buy a team with only the front suspension? FS instead of FRS?

Also, I don't know if M24 reference could have been team issue or the two would always indicate team only?

Thanks All, reference number start with M24 so it would indicate a marin team 1994.

Now the seller said he bought it new and front mech, canti and crankset are all m900 xtr which would indicate he could have been a team issue. I believe team and team issue had the same frame. He said he changed the derailleur to the to xt when it broke. I not even ced the front shifter was also Xt and brake pads were xt.

To make things more complicated the bike had been repainted once hence why the sticker did not match. Wheels were changed too and purple bar ends were swapped to silver ones. So it was hard to ID.

Have a couple of last questions:

Interestingly the fork is a manitou Easton e9. The same from marin FRS. I don't know if it was possible to buy a team with only the front suspension? FS instead of FRS?

Also, I don't know if M24 reference could have been team issue or the two would always indicate team only?
The 4 is the year and the first digit goes down with model so 0 - titanium 1 - team issue 2 - team Marin etc.

In this case, you will never know for sure and put this to rest finally!

Its simply a fact (!) that Team Issues had the 1 and the 2 in the serial number and the Teams could also have 2 or 1. Ive seem this dozens of times here and in the Marin „The early years“ Facebook group and also have one of the 100% original Issues myself that has a x23xx serial number.

Just build it to whatever you like! Team or Team Issue! Both of them are fine and „correct“!

Amen

Back