Help identify Brodie model and year

You can easily tell the difference between a Catalyst and other frames; feel the top tube and down tube where they meet the head tube - if the tubes feel slightly ovalised then it’s a Catalyst, owing to the Prestige Concept tubing.

As the headtube is machined, I'm pretty sure it's 1 1/8. There is a big difference in diameter of chainstay between sovereign and Catalyst and from the picture I would still say it's a Sovereign.

Tubes connecting to the head-tube are not ovalized, both perfectly round when i measure with my calipers. So most likely a Sovereign as 'sovereign' points out... although i think he might be biased? =)

Sounds like a Sovereign then - lovely! :)

Yeah, now i know which decals to look for!

Starting the project of disassembly and inspection, hope not to find any nasty surprises =)

Thanks all for joining in the treasure hunt, i appreciate the expert help received!

Re:

Nice, does your climbMax have the 25.4mm or the 22.2mm quill stem? I'm still a little hesitant here what model my frame is :).

one-eyed_jim":3u6rgk84 said:
Lovely bike.

Have you checked the component date codes? Shimano parts have a two-letter date code which - assuming the group set is original - would give you a terminus post quem for assembly.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Japan/ ... _codes.htm

Easy to find on the backs of the cranks, for example.

Checked the cranks, wheels, brakes and date codes are from 1990. The shifters are from 1989. I think everything is original and as it came from factory. Is there a point asking Paul B. to check for sure on the model? I don't want to bother him unnecessarily.

Back