Help, How do you tighten cone bearings on C King Hub ???

Retro Spud

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi

After 20yrs+ of wanting a really nice set of wheels I've finally arrived, and got myself a set of Chris King Classic hubs however both front and rear have developed play from slack bearing and need the cones tightening.

I've bought the correct tool to do the job but can't find any instructions on the web of how you go about it, now I could just guess, but I don't want to bugger them up or mark the casings.. so here I am seeking guidance before simply jump in.

At the risk of sounding like an A-Hole can I request that I don't need help from some "Arm chair" engineer / self proclaimed expert who once upon a time knew someone who had a friend who said its easy all you need is two allen keys and the jig.... as I've worked that bit out for myself.

As for dropping both wheels to my LBS the nearest is Mud Dock in Bristol and I haven't got the luxury of simplying dropping in.

Fingers crossed there's more than a few accomplished experts on here who can help.

Attachments

• Classic_OrangeGroup.jpg
    Classic_OrangeGroup.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 308
  • Chris King Bearing Tool.jpg
    Chris King Bearing Tool.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 307
Many thanks for the info, it was actually very simple in the end

My hubs are as good as new again

you dont really need the tool, just undo the axle with allen keys & tighten the bearing preload by hand. then retighten with the allen keys.
the newer axles use a grub screw, which is even easier to use, certainly doesnt require the tool & is less prone to loosening.
when you rebuild put a thin layer of grease over the outer bearing & it should be several years before you need to touch them again :cool:

Back