Free hub body problems - Help.

I think an easier question would be - for future reference:

Is it possible to ‘upgrade’ the freehub body?
To replace say a Deore with say XT/R ?

ibbz":1477ewxl said:
I think an easier question would be - for future reference:

Is it possible to ‘upgrade’ the freehub body?
To replace say a Deore with say XT/R ?

I dont think you would gain anything, I had to replace XT models' earlier than Exage or Deore

well
I've been doing some searching on the Freehub Body (notched one) which I bought and which wasn't compatible with the cone assembly.
After reading the description on the ebay seller page of the item:

"...Deore XT (M75x) are compatible with several popular Shimano 8/9/10 speed rear hubs including Deore XT M750, Deore XT M756 and Deore LX M570. Not compatible with M770+, see above.Compatible with all 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes from Shimano and SRAM. 10mm hex bolt. If in doubt, this freehub is the most likely to fit a random Shimano hub!.."
And this is the picture:

Now, searching M75x and M52x on Shimano Tech Docs, I've come across these two:
M756-A and M525-A - both look almost idetical to the one as shown above (from the sellers page of the one I had bought) both feature the same model Cone Nut set up but differ in main body part number. Y3SP98090 Being the Right Hand Lock Nut Unit.
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... A-3295.pdf
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... A-3287.pdf

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 227
Re:

Why not now buy a new axle assembly (for the cones and spacers) to match the new freehub? Have you got a the big washer that presses into the the freehub body with the new one? Otherwise it won't matter what cone you have, all the cack will go in the bearings!

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":m68z6i3f said:
Why not now buy a new axle assembly (for the cones and spacers) to match the new freehub? Have you got a the big washer that presses into the the freehub body with the new one? Otherwise it won't matter what cone you have, all the cack will go in the bearings!

SP
Thanks yes the new FH-M530 came with the big washer thing and the cone has a rubber seal washer with it too -
Basically I’ve already replaced the off side cartridge which was rough as anything and grinding - I installed the freehub body - inserted bearings - used the original cone - followed usual procedure Tightening and then relieving until just right - the lock nut didn’t play any tricks and tightened just right onto the cone and leaving exact perfect mm of extruding axle - just as it was.
spun nicely with no issues - after checking it over - put the cassette on and set the bike up -
Took it for a rough spin through some mud and crappy trail around a local park and football pitches - no issues.
Going to take the wheel And cassette off Tomorrow to double check see if it’s all secure and element tight.

It’s all a bit odd and I am not sure why it’s fine with this M530 which was recommended and which is, I might add - slightly different to the original freehub body - in that although the race etc are the same depth and size - the opening hole is certainly narrower - but the notched one was Certainly quite different in many ways.
I can’t understand what was causing the cone and locknut to play tricks and tighten when the axle was turned from the opposite side with the notched freehub body - I dread this same problem reoccurring - so tomorrow in daylight will check it over.

Thanks for all the help

Back