Help! Headset help needed!

Midlife":1aht66rk said:
LukeFRC":1aht66rk said:
Midlife":1aht66rk said:
That is unusual, I would have thought the Quinn would have been a bog standard English size. Has someone used a punch on the fit surface of the fork crown?

Shaun

Nope. It all looks like it should fit... except it does...

this quote here http://www.hilarystone.com/Headset3.html

Fork Crown Race Seat Diameter and Head tube Insert Race Diameter Campagnolo settled on a standard crown race seat diameter of 26.4mm with an insert race diameter of 30.2mm. Japan with the JIS standard settled upon 27.0mm crown race seat diameter with an insert race diameter of 30.0mm which was virtually identical to that used for the most part in the UK prior to about 1975 unless a Campag headset was fitted. However most frames from the last thirty years use the Campagnolo standard and even the Japanese manufacturers mostly made headsets to the Campag dimensions. If your frame and fork has JIS dimensions it can easily be reamed and cut to accept Campag dimensioned headsets by a good bike shop or framebuider.

makes me think that a different size might have been used... but thought I would ask the wisdom on here rather than just trusting one source (who's trying to sell bikes)

I'd have thought a Harry Quinn would have been constructed with a Campagnolo headset in mind :)

Shaun

I got it from the son of 97 year old who had died - he had got it custom made in the late 70's (well my guess based on the serial) - it had a odd mix of fairly modern brakes, old old campag seat post (one where the clamp has 4 bits and two bolts) and japanese made headset, bb and gears.
French wheels. Bit of a mix.

Midlife":3rzrg575 said:
Ooohhhh :). Late 70's Harry Quinn, smack in my era :). Any chance of any pics. :D

Shaun

quick iPhone pics
image.jpeg

image.jpg

Utterly classic Harry Quinn, personally I'd stick with the period Tange :)

Are those seat stays wrapover?

Shaun

Midlife":3k9g54lb said:
Utterly classic Harry Quinn, personally I'd stick with the period Tange :)

Are those seat stays wrapover?

Shaun
nope but they do have some cool flashy lines painted on.
It's a great wee frame. It got it, pumped the tyres up and road it as it is- was lovely (until I got confused changing gear)
Be even nicer (to ride) once I've finished - though a few "non period" parts will appear on it :)

ball bearings ordered.... going to stick the original back on there....

which I should never of really taken off! :)

Back