Help dating Birmingham Sun frame

First time I've seen a Clifton on RB. One of the 'missing' brands! They were very popular with Birkenhead/Wirral area riders when I was a lad. I visited the shop once, opposite the Birkenhead Mersey Tunnel (definitely NOT Liverpool!) entrance I seem to remember. I've no knowledge of who actually built their frames whether it was 'in house' or a local builder as and when required. The lettering looks as if it originated at C&G finishes in Liverpool in their 'trademark' hand done style.
Apologies Old Ned, it actually came from Wallasey. Obviously I'm not local to the area!
Regarding who built them - the first post on here makes interesting reading.

Apologies Old Ned, it actually came from Wallasey. Obviously I'm not local to the area!
Regarding who built them - the first post on here makes interesting reading.
Many thanks for the link. Not come across the site before. Paddy and Eileen were old friends of mine from back in the mid-60's. Sadly Paddy passed away several years ago and last I heard of Eileen was that she was in a home in the Wrexham area. I occasionally am in touch with their daughter Elaine who was women's time trial Best All Rounder champion in 1980. I now remember the Hewitt name as being attached to Clifton. Where the Clifton brand name came from I've no idea! It's all bringing back happy memories of cycling in the locality and riding the local West Cheshire TTCA time trials as a lad. A lot of the Birkenhead area clubs riders would have been on Cliftons. Still got the result sheets from events from 1962 to around '68 when I left the area never to return (to live there that is!).

EDIT - Red Face Time!! I've been looking through the whole site and realised that I have visited it before - many times! I've contributed photos and the like on several occasions (even ones of me!). Sadly there doesn't appear to be much traffic on it these days which is probably why I'd forgotten about it. It's well worth reading through all the contributions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back