Hello All. My somewhat modified M-Trax & standard Ridgeback.

ukyellow

Retro Newbie
Hi folks,

Been lurking for a few months and reading back through about 10 years of threads. Great info resource you've got here, with some entertainment too. Been very useful over the course of working on my bike recently.

My '93 M-Trax that I've had since the mid 90s but had fallen out of riding a decade ago when kids came along. Now they're older and riding their own bikes I decided to get it together again but I've got older and fatter with creaky knees and really found hills/headwinds too much. So I converted it into an ebike. Three months ago it was totally standard apart from the seat, now it's got heavier but more pleasant to ride -

o6uDvug.jpg

A pic without the panniers better showing detail of my vandalism -

S92Mv2G.jpg

Fitted period v-brakes and new levers, the levers are hideous but include motor cut off switches so I'm stuck with them. New levers meant new shifters too because the originals are a combined unit. The larger box on the rack is holding the bike battery and the smaller box has toolkit and a spare tube (I needed the 2nd box to give a full length pannier base). The hub motor is 36v / 250w with a 15.5mph assistance limit. Controller is in the under seat bag.

I know ebikes generate mixed feelings with some but it's turned riding again from "I can't manage this" into "I can't wait to get out again". Even been using it for work a bit when I can. I leave it switched off mostly but when I do need the help it's like being on a tandem with a serious cyclist on the back who only weighs 5kg.

Also been making some use of my wife's '97 (might be '98) Ridgeback 603 slx that she bought new from Freewheel then rode about twice and decided cycling wasn't for her. It's totally standard except for the seat (it's on my M-Trax) and has probably done less than 200 miles since new. I intend to keep this pretty much as is for short green lane runs or chucking in the car. Badly needs new tyres though -

Otc2YKI.jpg

Loving being back on two wheels.

Back