Helkama - Team Power 1994

nice looking frame ben

"for my wife " so it will be built with the finest parts available and left in the shed forever then ? :LOL:

Titanium frames were from Soviet Union, same what Tunturi used also.
They were pretty good frames! I know all persons who rode that Helkama MTB Team.

How come I have missed this?

The picture looks like a finnish backyard btw :cool: .. Helkama really had a strong racing team in the mid 90's, but marketing & design something else than commuters wasn't their strongest ability.

A friend of mine was visiting their factory bitd.. The group of visitors went to see some models of bikes. He was looking at a quite good looking proto of a cruiser, when the head came and said "no, we are NEVER going to produce something like that!". Somebody remembers then how horrible looking their "cruiser" was :LOL: ..

But this is very nice frame! :) Wonder why they were so heavy?

I remember the "White Power" too. :oops: :LOL:

p4pb1140727.jpg

To be honest, I'm not sure it is Superlight tubing or at least not a lot of it.
I'm sure the diameters of them are to large (31.8 external seat tube for a start) and of course these large tubes just add weight.

The previous owner who's garden that is, is in this thread so may no the history of it.

Doesn't bother me though, it makes a lovely ping sound all the tubes.

EDIT
I was looking at the wrong specs
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... at1997.pdf
I guess it's the largest of each tubing, that would probably account for it heavier weight. Still more than I would have thought, so maybe a blend of tubing.

I have some old Helkama brochures at my parents' house. I'll be visiting them next month so I try to remember to take them with me (the brochures ;) ) and scan.

Tizumo":334zzqdd said:
I have some old Helkama brochures at my parents' house. I'll be visiting them next month so I try to remember to take them with me (the brochures ;) ) and scan.

Excellent, I'll get the archive ready :D

Not bad for a company I had never heard of till I bought it.

Sort of, I've put things on it but finishing it means the Wife will be wanting to go for a ride on it and get it dirty ;)
She doesn't ride bikes but I'm trying :) She enjoyed the short rides at the Lakes last year.

Anyways, just needed to buy some brake blocks and see what bits are lying around sort of build now.
It'll be rigid at first, then a swap to some MAG forks.
Some cheap Avid v's on at first until I get some larger screws for the M950 v's.

Really it's just cut the cable outers and set it up I think.
Must try at some point :oops:

Back