Headset related query - tight spot at the back, ha ha!!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Got a NOS frame and fork set, came fitted with a new headset. This afternoon got it all together and once the stem/bars, etc, were on, there's a really tight spot as you turn the bars (to the right, as it happens, but probably not significant) to the point that they will hardly move once turned fully to the back, if you see what I mean.

Now, I know you're all going to say the head tube needs facing, but could it be the cheap eBay headset? Or something else?

For info, I put my headset press on it and made sure both cups were completely seated, and checked the crown race wasn't bent at all (it comes off easily being one with a split in the ring, fnar fnar) The only thing that has occurred to me is, could there be an excess of paint around the area where the crown race seats? Would it be worth getting the paint off that area so there's definitely no uneven areas/high spots?

Otherwise.....anyone know a cheap place to get it faced? :facepalm:

Re:

Thanks, that's useful! Going to have another tinker after lunch, and see if I can improve things myself before resorting to a bike shop.....

Nothing is ever simple, is it. Never had an issue in my life before with a headset though :facepalm:

Kaz, not sure if that particular headset had one but there should be a super-thin washer that sits just on top of the compression ring, beneath the top bearing cover - if this is not fitted it can cause the headset to bind. Hope this is an easy fix! Let me know :D

Like this . . .

IMG_0270.JPG

Not all headsets have them (if there's a step inside the top bearing cover it does the same job). Fingers crossed it's a simple fix but please get back in touch otherwise.

Re:

Lynne, don't worry, I've just come back in to pour more cider..... :LOL: :LOL:

But what I have done is take everything completely apart, knocked out the headset cups, cleaned everything thoroughly, gently run some fine emery cloth about, and reassembled. It was very slightly better, but still not perfect. Then I put the wheels in, and guess what, it's hardly noticeable now, and it's at a point where you'll never turn the bars to anyway (unless you're doing X ups, which isn't my style at my age. Or any age, to be honest :oops: )

But I will check what the bearing cover looks like, there's definitely no thin scuff washer or anything in there, though I could no doubt find one to test that theory if the cover doesn't have a step down in it.

Right, back out into the teeth of a gale, cider in hand....... :facepalm: :LOL:

Re:

Hmmmm should feel totally smooth though - no issues when I built it up :? I have a feeling that that particular headset comes without a washer as iirc the top bearing cover is quite chunky. Really hope you can get this sorted quickly - heck, you've had to wait long enough :facepalm:

Back