Headset coming loose all the time!!!

Shimano are low so could be an issue.

I never got on with my DX headset, kept coming loose ...

One of these would have fixed it though :

DSC06691.jpg

WD :D

Hi there. I've had problems with my threaded headsets often on my Alpinestar. Found it was the aluminium washer with the lug that slots into the groove on the steerer that had worn. Replaced that and the headset would remain tight again.Haven't found out why the washer keeps wearing out. Bought some spares off a guy selling packets of them on ebay. Need to replace it again as Dalbeattie Stanes Red route last weekend trashed it!

PING!! Light go's on in my brain!!
It might just be the stack height because when i bought the frame and forks it had a kona impact headset on it and i'm sure they have a higher stack height. To the man cave!!

Yeah it sounds like the lip on the locknut is bottoming out onto the edge of the steerer, it feels like its tight but isnt actually locking the threaded cup in the correct position of adjustment. I had this on my old Diamondback from new. A deeper washer/spacer sorted it.

Obviously it could be any number of issues but without pics or an in person diagnosis it's hard to pinpoint and fix over the internet.

Back