Have you tried Brooks or Selle Anatomica saddles?

setspeed

Retro Guru
In the last 18 months I've bought/borrowed/tried out about 15 saddles. Modern and retro. Razors and sofas. Cheap and pretty expensive (up to £130).
Not a single one has provided me with comfort for more than a couple of hours, max.
I'm now at the point that I will try almost anything. The type that I haven't tried are those that are suspended over a metal frame, rather than having a solid plastic base for a frame.
So can anyone tell me their experience with Brooks, or Selle Anatomica saddles? Are they worth the money? I'm really not trying to drop £150 a couple more times, unless it's going to give me sweet relief on my butt!

PS please don't suggest padded cycling shorts, as I tried some before and it felt like I was wearing a nappy, and only partly prolonged the time until I got sore.

I only use leather saddles. I have a Brooks b17 narrow, a Blb Mosquito and a Gyes. I stopped using padded cycling shorts because I don't need them with these. I can ride all day and the leather forms a sort of suspension. But I cannot guarantee everyone finding happiness with these, people differ too much, I guess. Eighties touring saddles with padding are agreeable as well. Leather shapes after your body, is what they say, it is different from padding which is squishy and elastic, leather is more compliant and keeps its shape better. If that makes any sense.

Edit, the cheaper alternatives from Blb, Gyes, Selle Monte Grappa are just as good as Brooks or Selle Anatomica.

I only use leather saddles. I have a Brooks b17 narrow, a Blb Mosquito and a Gyes. I stopped using padded cycling shorts because I don't need them with these. I can ride all day and the leather forms a sort of suspension. But I cannot guarantee everyone finding happiness with these, people differ too much, I guess. Eighties touring saddles with padding are agreeable as well. Leather shapes after your body, is what they say, it is different from padding which is squishy and elastic, leather is more compliant and keeps its shape better. If that makes any sense.
I've come to the conclusion that it's pointless me trying any more plastic base saddles, and your post gives me hope that I might get on with a leather suspended one!

In the last 18 months I've bought/borrowed/tried out about 15 saddles. Modern and retro. Razors and sofas. Cheap and pretty expensive (up to £130).
Not a single one has provided me with comfort for more than a couple of hours, max.
I'm now at the point that I will try almost anything. The type that I haven't tried are those that are suspended over a metal frame, rather than having a solid plastic base for a frame.
So can anyone tell me their experience with Brooks, or Selle Anatomica saddles? Are they worth the money? I'm really not trying to drop £150 a couple more times, unless it's going to give me sweet relief on my butt!

PS please don't suggest padded cycling shorts, as I tried some before and it felt like I was wearing a nappy, and only partly prolonged the time until I got sore.
Which would you say is your favourite? I didn't know the BLB Mosquito or Gyes saddles even existed, and they're considerably cheaper than a Brooks B17.

Which would you say is your favourite? I didn't know the BLB Mosquito or Gyes saddles even existed, and they're considerably cheaper than a Brooks B17.
Blb an Gyes are exactly the same. The cut of the Gyes is a bit more pleasing to the eye, I think. But the Blb is great and comes in a natural hue, which I like a lot.

Latest posts

Back