Haro Escape A2 '97 - need HELP! (updated with pics)

Lapsus

Retro Newbie
Greetings everybody. I own a Haro Escape A2 which was my first serious mountain bike and has gone through various configurations. My latest plan is to build it as a light XC and general use bike. Everything on the bike is original appart from XT v-brakes, Race Face seatpost, stem and handlebar and some minor items such as seat and pedals.

I have changed the original Indy C fork with a Suntour MG-91 which has developed some problems recently (the fork seals/ bushings keep coming loose). Since the fork was already too stiff and in my opinion only added weight to the bike I have decided to go for a rigid Cr-Mo fork. Since the Indy C has an axle to crown length of 425mm, the closest rigid fork I could find is one from ON-ONE which has an axle to crown legth of 420mm.

I still don't know what's the axle to crown length of the Suntour Mg-91 I have now. My measurments are close to 430mm but since I haven't measured it properly I can't be really sure. If anyone knows the "official" measurement let me know.

I'm open to any suggestions about my rigid fork project and I promise to take pics of the bike soon!

Some pics to give you an idea of what the bike looks like in its curent configuration. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    363 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 1,626
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 1,627
I think you will be pretty safe with the rigid forks being within 5-10mm of what you now. If you are happy with the way it handles then it'll stay pretty much the same. You'll probably feel more difference due to the reduced weight and no suspension rather than the fork length.

Only issue I can think of is that if you currently find the handling a little "floppy" when riding uphill (hard to keep bike in a straight line) then try to get forks that are a touch shorter - but don't go longer. Longer will make the bike great downhill but a bit of a nightmare uphill. Finding the exact balance for yourself is the key.

If it was me I'd go for a slightly shorter fork if I had to change and I would fit the 420mm On-One fork - I doubt you'd have any problems.

Lovely bike BTW, I do have a soft spot for those haro's - looks very good in the aluminium. :D

Thanks a lot Rob! I think the forks I have now have an axle to crown length of around 430mm (though I'd have to remeasure it to be sure) and are so stiff I doubt there is even 5- 10 mm of sag. Since the bike's main focus would be city use and light XC I'll be ok with the geometry as it is now and I could use a slightly shorter fork for better climbing ability. The bike climbs and handles great as it is now.

I have an all mountain hardtail with 160mm for trail use so it's unlikely the Haro is going to hit the trails . The idea is to build a tough bike for a city with less than optimal roads. It's also a good excuse to keep using a bike I love. :D

The Haro has been fantastic bike so far. It has done everything from XC, epic rides, touring, city riding, all mountain riding and I've even riden it on a trail centre once. What I love about this bike is that it's very dialed. I've set up the cocpit to be exactly as I want it. The XT V-brakes have been updated with CoolStop brake pads and brake boosters. Recently I've serviced the whole drivetrain changing casette, chainrings, chain and deraileur rollers. The whole bike works briliantly except for the suspension.

Sorry for resurecting the thread after such a long ime but does anybody know where I can get a deraileur hanger for this frame?

Back