Bontrager Comp Forks circa 1991 Dimensions

richardpaulbaker

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi, I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there owning a pair of Bontrager Comp forks who could measure the axle to crown race dimension?
I used to own a pair of these BITD - the ones with the black crown and chrome legs.
They came with my Salsa Ala Carte 91, and I'm currently rebuilding the bike and just wanted to double check the fork details. It would also be good to know the offset dimension too, if anyone knows.
Cheers.

But, yeah, 390mm, sounds about right, off the top of my head.

As for offset, didn't Keith make a few different options available in that regard?

@br0qn Would be the resident expert these days tho! ;)

;D

Though there are a ton of variants over the years (ie curved/straight legs, different blade gauges, different drops, canti/rollercam/ubrake mounts, suspension corrected etc) the competition fork that is on my '90 OR, as I found it, measures 395mm AC. I think some people measure theirs at 390mm like pw & slack. I do know the forks around that time were offered with 3 different rakes 1.25" 1.5" and 1.75"

Some of the fork stuff here below, first 4 snips are from the 1990 docs I have .

Bonty_forks_04.JPG
Bonty_forks_03.JPG

Bonty_forks_02.JPG

Bonty_forks_01.JPG

Attachments

• Bonty_forks_07.JPG
    Bonty_forks_07.JPG
    443.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Bonty_forks_06.JPG
    Bonty_forks_06.JPG
    758.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Bonty_forks_05.JPG
    Bonty_forks_05.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 21
Told you!

Also, I'm not going to pretend I'm not hyped to own all three of the forks from "Radical Forks"!

I need to print and frame that one for the bike workshop.

When I'm successful enough to afford to have one!

Hi Guys,
This is fantastic information - thank you.
I have two fork options in the shed - some Exotic Alloy straight blade that are 390mm A to C and some Kona Project 2s that are a little longer at 410mm.

I foolishly sold the original Bonty forks that came with my frame to help fund a pair of Rock Shox Mag 20s in 1992.
I sold them to a mate who put them on his commuter bike - I think they are still on there to this day.

He won't sell them back...............

Back