Gun Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
lets be honest, people from countries who have no guns are always going to find it easier to comment and pass judgement on countries that do

Now I have the opportunity too I certianly will be using local ranges and target ranges for nothing other than handguns as a hobby

are there any regulation on how guns (hunting rifles) are stored in the us? i know my old man is required to keep his deer rifles in a locked gun cabinet with the ammo locked seperatly and the bolts seperate from that, his house alarm is also linked the local police station.

alanf":1ydwj7x8 said:
FairfaxPat":1ydwj7x8 said:
It could be worse-I read that in Iraq they allow every family to own 1 full auto AK-47 for home protection!

you should look up what they give those doing their national service in Switzerland :shock: and yet gun crime related to these weapons is mainly kept in the home and used in domestic violence attacks!

Pretty much every swiss citizen (those that have taken military national service) has at home an assault rifle, sidearm, 1000 rounds, grenades and other bits and bobs depending on speciality, for defence of Switzerland, the whole army can be mobilised in 45mins, it has the 4th highest percentage of gun ownership in the world but around 5th from bottom in gun /violent crime.. It's a question of attitude, moral stance and education. All of which the the US is sadly lacking in.

Pat: Any hunter who needs five shots isn't a hunter. The whole assault rifles for hunting thing is quite franky a load of crap.

lumos2000":2d8n9zyp said:
are there any regulation on how guns (hunting rifles) are stored in the us? i know my old man is required to keep his deer rifles in a locked gun cabinet with the ammo locked seperatly and the bolts seperate from that, his house alarm is also linked the local police station.

I think it varies by state, in my state, south dakota i don't even need a licence. I just go to the gun store with i.d. the gun store then must forward it to the local chief of police and if nothing comes back within 48 hours then I can take the gun

I can also carry it around with me as long as i have a permit and permits are easy to obtain as the structure is that having been checked, a carrying in public permit is more like a fishing licence in the u.k. is valid for 4 years and costs $10

but..in south dakota being largely ranch and farming it is seen very much as tools of the trade and there has not been a school shooting in this state

I agree you are a very poor hunter if you need an assault rifle but..you also have to remember some of those buying assault rifles are buying them for natures defence.

I have a friend who is a rancher and it is not unusual to have coyote's attack his heards so the ability to fire and fire fast makes sense in that situation, I also have friends in other states where bears are a real issue and a handgun is almost seen like a pop gun when a bear stands up and wants you

I think also we have to think without emotion which is really difficult to do because kids were involved. Most guns are legal and most gun owners use them only for legal purposes but even those law abiding gun owners know change is coming and most do not have an issue with it

I'm not a hunter, but most hunting rifles in America are Not single shot weapons, rather they have internal magazines that hold anywhere from 3-5 rounds, whether bolt action or semi-auto--having an extra shot or two when the Grizzly Bear or Moose is charging only makes sense, (I know, you don't have critters like that in the UK, but we do here-as a matter of fact, a few years ago a friend traveling up the ALCAN Highway to Fairbanks was required by the Mounties at the border to BUY a shotgun to bring along in the car on the trip North). Modern military rifles have detachable high capacity magazines that are reloaded quickly, and that is what is banned around here...

reminds me of Mark Beaumont (the man who cycled the americas) when he came across a family of bears crossing the raod in front of him, he had to hide behind a passing motorhome to get past them :shock:

FairfaxPat":241ht6hk said:
It could be worse-I read that in Iraq they allow every family to own 1 full auto AK-47 for home protection!

In Iraq they probably need it :shock:

FairfaxPat":3pr66dut said:
I'm not a hunter, but most hunting rifles in America are Not single shot weapons, rather they have internal magazines that hold anywhere from 3-5 rounds, whether bolt action or semi-auto--having an extra shot or two when the Grizzly Bear or Moose is charging only makes sense, (I know, you don't have critters like that in the UK, but we do here-as a matter of fact, a few years ago a friend traveling up the ALCAN Highway to Fairbanks was required by the Mounties at the border to BUY a shotgun to bring along in the car on the trip North). Modern military rifles have detachable high capacity magazines that are reloaded quickly, and that is what is banned around here...

Sorry Pat I don't agree, an assault rifle is not the ideal tool when hunting bear or moose, large gauge relatively low velocity rounds are more likely to make a clean kill in one shot. If you tell me how many people are killed by charging moose or bear each year and the number outweighs the number of people killed in the US by military calibre firearms then I'll concede you have a point.

As an aside, why the **** would someone want to shoot a , cougar, wolf anyway other than the fact they have to compensate for an incredibly small penis ?

I don't shoot any critters-just targets. Cougars and wolves aren't considered large game as far as rifles go, but the bigger game does require at least a .30 round-which is much bigger than your typical .223 military M16, and yes, lots of deer and bear hunters here use large caliber semi auto rifles to hunt them-so what? .308 military battle rifles make good hunting weapons for large game, as opposed to the smaller, lighter assault rifles.

:D

B77":1fzwfjdi said:
As an aside, why the f**k would someone want to shoot a , cougar, wolf anyway other than the fact they have to compensate for an incredibly small penis ?

You have penis issues :LOL:

the assumption that everyone who has a gun is a hunter is limited and an uninformed one

out here certianly as the winters get milder, the lands get drier in the summer with less foilage and feed, not forgetting the increase in forest fires sees the wildlife moving into town.

The amount of people dying by collisions with deers whilst driving is on the increase so a cull needs to be enforced to reduce that risk. deer out here are like cats in the uk, all over the bloody place

also deer are the natural food source for the cougars and mountain lions so when the deer comes to town so do the the big cats. so year on year where big cats are being killed (and I don't mean hunted) the pattern emerging is that they are being killed closer to populated areas so in many ways certianly around here it's mostly for defence.

I can absolutely assure you that if you lived here and knew that mountain lions were close to where you live and your kids play...you would own a gun

I do hope they ban large capacity magazines and agree some form of gun control is needed but not because I am anti hunters. Guns are legal in the u.s. and most owners do use them responsibly.

a knee jerk ban will only hide the problem, the real problem is why are these school killings happening and by mostly young males..deal with that and the difference might be made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back