Gum hood preservation

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
I bought this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Einszett- ... 2c90e9ab68

Popular with car restoration nerds from what Google reported ...

Initial feedback is very positive; quite how this will help long term only time will tell.

Does make them look and feel nice & soft; and a bit slippy

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I suppose with stuff like that you need to start putting it on before any cracking actually starts.

I've got some brand new blue/grey Shimano AX hoods for my Raleigh, so maybe I should try this stuff from the start.

I have some of mixed condition. This stuff has certainly made them look and feel better.

Going to put it on the car seals too.

Hoods can deteriorate bloody quickly in bright sunlight! The original hoods on my Motobecane were pretty rotten
so I found myself a brand new pair of hoods and looked great, this is one of my best bikes, which is in my bedroom
in which the sun beamed right through the window everyday from 6am til' 2pm :(

All my hoods are now covered over to protect from UV rays and the bikes have covers on them.

Didn't happen over night so I never noticed the hoods were deteriorating within two years they went from this:

motobecane1006.jpg

To this:
hood002_zpsce90e451.jpg

Re:

I see you ride with Mansfield RC Ian. Rode your big red ride last year. Great route, but was bolloxed by the time I rode home.

Re: Re:

pigman":2liyn36j said:
I see you ride with Mansfield RC Ian. Rode your big red ride last year. Great route, but was bolloxed by the time I rode home.
Hope your coming to the event this year ? I didn't ride it last year because of a bad back.

Gets better every year, the ride not my back :cool:

Re:

If they're not cracked T-cut is amazing with rubber. Use it on brake blocks to soften them also. Just rub it on and rub off when dry.

Back