GT XIZANG QUESTION

Hey guys,

I m looking at a GT Xizang frame at the moment to add to my collection.

This one seems to quite unique. The seller says its a 93/94 built frame and he's the 3rd owner. The frame looks great but when checking the rear it had Disc Mounts welded... Never seen this before... it looks factory welded and clean.

Seller reckons: "G1914 Made in USA", that it's a 19' size frame, probably built in january 1994"

Any Ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1248836603

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi,

the disc mounts are NOT factory welded; the Xizang (apart from the re-issue a few years ago) was available until 1999 and did not come with disc Mount Option.

The decals are NOT original.

Looking at this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40095&start=10

(=suggesting this is # 14 of all 19inch Xizang ever made)

... considering, that 19inch Xizang were not available until 1993...

...considering this Frame does not have U-Brake...

... and considering the smooth welds near the Dropouts (bad perspective, though), and the small pipe at the rear of the top tube...

I presume this is an early 1993 frame.
http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1993.pdf

The 1994 frame did not have the small pipe and should carry a slightly higher serial number.

Some 1993 frame had different "joints" of seat- and chainstays with the dropout. I presume, these came later in 1993.

The - obviously - reproduced decals also resemble 1993 decals in terms of style a bit.

Regarding Frame size: this could also be an 18inch. Please get the seat tube measured from centre bottom bracket to centre top tube.

Rahbari":1tggv67m said:
Hi,

the disc mounts are NOT factory welded; the Xizang (apart from the re-issue a few years ago) was available until 1999 and did not come with disc Mount Option.

The decals are NOT original.

Looking at this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40095&start=10

(=suggesting this is # 14 of all 19inch Xizang ever made)

... considering, that 19inch Xizang were not available until 1993...

...considering this Frame does not have U-Brake...

... and considering the smooth welds near the Dropouts (bad perspective, though), and the small pipe at the rear of the top tube...

I presume this is an early 1993 frame.
http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1993.pdf

The 1994 frame did not have the small pipe and should carry a slightly higher serial number.

Some 1993 frame had different "joints" of seat- and chainstays with the dropout. I presume, these came later in 1993

The - obviously - reproduced decals also resemble 1993 decals in terms of style a bit.

Regarding Frame size: this could also be an 18inch. Please get the seat tube measured from centre bottom bracket to centre top tube.

Thought as much... Thats why it threw me off... Ill get more pics. I sent the sell loads of questions and waiting to hear back.

Thanks!

Year looks acurate as described to me but condition does not look as good as the seller makes out in that description, maybe just a crappy picture? Either way i dont think i would put in a bid at that price. The Welded on disk mount would put me off too

Sean

It's twice what it should be with that very amateurish looking disc mount bodge, I would leave it well alone if I were you.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
phatmar":2xs6qzt1 said:
its_kirby":2xs6qzt1 said:
Looks like a dog for the money

Got the other pics from the Seller... Not worth it... He welded the mounts on him self... Bodge Job and the frame isn't clean enough... Thanks Guys!

Heres one i missed...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131127123722? ... EBIDX%3AIT

That 92 one on the bay was right on the money for me, I know retro is now fashionable and of course prices have risen but I estimate £500-£550 max for a mint Xizang frame. I sold my complete 1994 with full m900 for £880 18 months ago. You will always have the folk who list their frames for £1000 bin. trying to push up the values but in reality they're few and far between. I think you will bag a nice one soon and let's hope it's not been subject to some home welding experiment :facepalm:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 406
Also keep in mind that prices for original Xizang decals are crazy. Apart from the blue 97, felnzo of ebay USA does not have any anymore and now sets go for around 100 EUR.

Luckily there is Gil with his brilliant reproductions... unlinke these which are probaly the ones, that the seller of the dodgy Xizang used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT-XIZANG-STICK ... 417dcf5264

Back