GT Timberline build

rossi46

Dirt Disciple
I don't know exactly the age of her, but I reckon she's mature enough to be in here.

Here's what I wheeled down the road, gratefully received from an old neighbour:
imag0116o.th.jpg

The dismantling begins. The tire walls were rotten, ditto the inner tubes. I threw an old no-name v-brake on the front just to try it for size. ripped everything else off and started looking for replacement bits in my spares box.
imag0117nf.jpg

Found tires, tubes, platform pedals and saddle in my spares box. Decided to order wheel skewers, bars, grips, levers, seat skewer, stem converter, chain tensioner, Cinelli
Vai 120mm stem, stem spacers, Cheng Shin tires and brakes new from eBay. This hastiness was mistake no.1. No need for a chain tensioner as the old girl has horizontal drop outs :oops: I also ordered cheap riser bars without first looking at their location. They're in Taiwan. Cue the 4 week wait. I'm not known for my patience, so decided to buy more. Luckily I picked up a second hand set of Easton EA50s on line for £10. Mistake no.2 was spending £12 plus shipping on wheel skewers, without realising that they wouldn't be strong enough to hold the rear wheel in place. So I 'borrowed' the no name bolt-on wheels from my partner's cheapo machine, so I could bolt on the rear. Next, she had to come to work with me for surgery. After much grunting and sweating I managed to free the seatpost from the frame. Now She's fitted out with all the afore-mentioned new bits, she's silent, smooth and solid. I'm waiting for Manitou SX forks (sorry, I'm too old to have my eyeballs rattled out anymore) and an Aheaset to come and she'll be done.
imag0169a.jpg

Here she is as of 11am this morning with her Easton bars and shod with new rubber. Sorry about the poor image quality. Just waiting for the forks and aheadset to come:
imag0187e.jpg

We live 18 miles from Glentress, so the red route is our next challenge, followed by the black if I get her home in one piece after our initial visit. I'm very quickly coming to realise how soft I've become in the last decade, gliding effortlessly over bumps, rocks and roots, not really paying attention to optimum lines or minimising risk of falling off. No, I've been letting my Spesh do the thinking for me. No she's gone, I'm suddenly transported back to the late 80s and find myself paying attention to trail obstacles and trying to minimise that old enemy called arm-pump :LOL:

Let the good old bumpy times roll again, me and my Timberline are gonna party like it's 1989... :D

And we're done. For now ;) I know she's not a polished, restored rebuild, but she's smooth, silent and solid.Big test day coming up, just as soon as I can sneak away from work. I reckon I'm due a sick day soon ;)

mainphpg2viewcorefi.jpg

nice one. does it stay in gear ok, or does it want to climb up and down the cluster? that is a 1992 model bike you have there. nice colour and graphics!

Hi thanks for the info. Yes she stays in gear fine :) horizontal dropouts rock! I do have the Araya wheels for it but I needed a solid rear axle to keep it straight under stress. Hence the cheapo set I put on. The rear skewer didn't hold the wheel tight enough.

looks good , cant beat those old GT paint jobs
i'm suprised that the wheels moving tho
both my s/s bikes have q/r wheels and offer no problems

Back