GT STS Vs Specialized S-works enduro 05

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm contemplating selling one of my STS builds (or both in fact). I've got both styles (exposed seat post Vs curved seat tube). The main driver is space and unemployment and a need to pay my mortgage and bills.

Thankfully, employment has come my way, but the space issue remains (the money will also help of course).

I'm ashamed to say I've never ridden either STS more than a few miles since completing the builds. The older one with the alloy head tube has the full betd upgrade and a custom trunnion allowing the use of a fox shock from a cannondale jekyll. The ds has an original fox rear shock and trunnion and runs on standard bushings, though does have a rear end capable of running disc brakes.

A while back I acquired a tidy specialized S-works enduro which I think is from around 05. The one with the frame that looks all futuristic and possibly Klingon. I've replaced all the bearings and have a few shock options to replace the brain unit it originally came with (a newer brain shock, which seems weedy as it has a tiny shaft in comparison to all shocks I've ever owned, a couple of fox variants (septune and rp23), and a rock Shox monarch). All bought before I found myself unemployed.

The dilemma is which to keep?

Goal: a bike that's capable enough to use, but one I don't have to worry about in terms of parts and damage.

I tend to get out on my 29er once a week (new emoyment will get in the way of that), but that's a hard tail and aside from my RTS (which I plan to keep and don't want to break, ever), whilst I'm culling, I would like to hang on to a full Susser I can throw around without too much of a care.

It seems obvious as I type where to go, but as I've no experience in riding any of the bikes (the specialized remains a frame only at this stage, with the build dependent on parts from the two STS builds), I'm hoping that someone can fill in some blanks and help me decide which to keep from a ride and maintenance point of view (again, having rebuilt all 3, it should be obvious, but sometimes the heart rules the head).

Easy - sell me the sts-2 keep the Specialized

No on a serious not I had an 05 s-works enduro then an 06 one which was one of the best bikes I've had.

Gts getting rare, and are pretty good looking at that.. I was scared of taking mine out and that was no fun so sold it!
Though no experience with the specialized i am seriously in the market for a full suspension specialized! A frame aswell, so if you decide to move it on.. ;)

Re:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still undecided which to keep and which to sell at this stage, but my decision will be based around riding overall.

The specialized build doesn't actually require me to pillage parts from other bikes as it goes. I forgot I had a full m970 groupset I pulled together for a project, including disc wheels, and I've some recent sids in white to throw at it, a white monarch rear shock and a couple of disc brake options.

I was hoping to get some feedback before building, but perhaps I'll do that and see which I prefer. That said, I'm enjoying riding my 29er so maybe all should go??

Re:

I've not ridden an Enduro so can't make the comparison. But I've really enjoyed riding my STS.

My suggestion would be that you build the Enduro and then ride them both to see which you prefer.

If it turns out you like both, I'd be inclined to start by selling one of the GTs.

How's the new job going?

Keep an STS on the trails and the other frame as spare, they rock. Prefer mine to my stupid money modern carbon full sus 29er.

I know this comment doesn't help so sorry ;)

Back