GT Saturn Team Fillet brazed

Re: Here's the bike

nickmrose":2e4dlrjo said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickrose/7558414784/

Yours sir...and sorry if I'm blunt...is a piece of S _ _ t. Not the same as mine. Yours was Tig welded in Taiwan and there were 500-1000 of these made as promotional give away bikes with low end Shimano 300ex components and they were all given away at Saturn car dealerships. Made to look similar to the team bike I posted but not anywhere near the same bike. I see these come up on eBay once in a while and the people have them listed at $500 for a bike that would have been maybe $369 tops at a bike store the way it's spec'd.

roadking":352w2ttq said:
Midlife":352w2ttq said:
Please excuse my ignorance as I'm a 70's cyclist but that stem would not have sold in the shop that I worked in as it looks like it has been "welded" by a blind person .......people would have bought a Cinelli / 3ttt / milremo / SR etc.

Is it very light ??

Shaun

All due respect to the blind, but I agree, and welded by a blind person with their feet!

Plus the stem is far too bulky, you're suggesting that stem is that much lighter than a Cinelli 1a?

Overall I like it, especially the Hellenic frame, other details could be improved though.

Rk.

As they were raced and spec'd at that time....the stem stays, sorry :D

nickmrose":6rrjjzx1 said:
Anyone know what the frame material is on those promo bikes? There's no identifying sticker.

As is with most promo bikes...no tubing sticker. Probably Taiwan p.g. chromoly seat tube, maybe the three main tubes. How much does it weigh?

Love the frame, nice find. Were these available to normal customers or team only?

Is that a Profile stem? Understand you've gone for the team replica but to my eyes something more svelte would suit.

Profile, yes it's got a front cap. Built for the team only in this fillet brazed/color scheme. You could buy the Edge Steel frame which was in the catalog which is basically the same frame.

Back