Gt rts3 frame with cannondale lefty fork

You've used a Dremel to make a moderately precise 40,0 mm machined clamp fit a 41,7mm shaft. On a structural part.

Man. Never mind any potential buyers not understanding what you've done. I'm not sure you do either.

It's a bit like the eBay bike that came up last year. Had a pair of twin crown forks with the top crown removed and stanchions pushed all the way through, just using the bottom crown. Selling it as DH Bike.

Dentists near the buyer would have been eyeing up new Porsches.......

dan28":3ob7dbpg said:
mechanical_vandal":3ob7dbpg said:
I have to be missing something or picking this up wrong.

Frame has a cracked headtube that's been welded?

There's a lump of wel that interferes with the headset cup so the cup has been 'notched'?

You've cut one side off a set of Fox 40 crowns and think that's a legit suction for mounting the fork in a 1 1/8" headtube?

The Fox 40 leg clamp is a different diameter to the Lefty fork it's being used to clamp?

And worst of all, you're not telling us about this because you've built it for yourself, rather because you're trying sell it?

What - the actual - hell?
A split in the head tube caused by a new sealed bearing a headset that had cups twice as deep as the original

There is no lump of weld but there is a slight bump in the surface where the weld has penetrated so I notched The lip on the cup not the bearing surface ,
Lefty fork diameter 41.7
Fork 40 obviously 40 mm ( when closed) open approx 40.5 mm an as I said used the dremmel to make it fit

Look at the photo it's not offset the wheel is inline
As for the crown it's solid alloy an if it was a conventional fork each crown would take the load of each leg

Lump or bump, you've still cut a notch in the cup where it fits in head-tube. Think of a tube/pipe with a lengthways slot, squeeze it and the slot will close up, it will be smaller in diameter, like your bearing cup in the frame, it won't be secure, never mind the possibility of the notch being a stress-riser that could cause cup to crack.

Lefty diameter 41.7mm, Lefty clamp internal diameter 41.85mm, 0.15mm difference. Fox crown internal diameter will be closer to 40.20mm than 40.5mm. You have forced it open to fit on Lefty, stressing it in direction it's not designed for. Erm, remember your head-tube cracking in a similar stressed situation? Or have you actually dremeled the inside of the crown to a bigger diameter to make it fit? :shock: That's how the line in above quote can be interpreted. Mattr thinks so, he might be right.

Each side of the crown on a conventional fork takes the load of each leg but you have only ONE side now taking the load of, effectively BOTH legs.

On both Leftys I have there is a slot/keyway that is machined into upper part of Lefty leg where the clamps fit. The inside of the clamps have a key, "lump", that fits in this keyway to keep the Lefty leg from rotating in clamps. How have you overcome this with the Fox crowns, tightened them as tight as eff?

"Never mind any potential buyers not understanding what you've done. I'm not sure you do either."

Well I'm sure, he doesn't.

Back