Gt rts3 frame with cannondale lefty fork

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
Gt rts3 frame
With cannondale lefty fork an wheel
Forks require a service they don't have any rebound an are very gritty
Frame has a small weld to head tube as fitting a different headset cup caused a crack as the new cup was much deeper
I have notched the exsisting cup on the lip only so when it fitted it s pressing against the weld

Parts included
Gt frame with headset stem bars seat an post an mech hanger
Lefty forks with fox 40 crowns fitted an lefty specific wheel
£150
EDITEDSEE PAGE 2 FOR PHOTOS
I ve been building this( slowly) in my loft
people seem to have strong opinions about it see below
some up to date photos on page

Re:

I was interested in the Lefty fork as spares so I Googled Lefty/Fox 40 crowns to see if this is a viable "modification" and found your FS thread from January on here, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=314518

Am I correct in thinking what you have done is take a dual crown like this
mIMVsuiMotuYJyFFXkx-pUg.jpg

and cut one side off each of the crowns then fitted the remains, with steerer, to a Lefty leg? That is how it looks in the pics on other thread.

If so, did you take into account that the total suspension loading/impacts are now being taken by just half of each crown that was designed to share this loading with the fork leg on other side of a normal fork? Also this total loading is offset on the steerer instead of being in line with steerer as it was designed to do.

This is all fitted to a frame with a cracked/welded head-tube with a headset cup with a notch cut out of it to clear this weld, that is now going to have a load applied to it that it wasn't designed for. Sideways loading could make this notch close up and then cup will be loose in head-tube.

If you actually rode this bike, you're a braver man than I.

No to mention the fork offset is completely wrong now. It'll handle like a dog.
Also, the frame isn't designed for a twin crown set up (I've seen a couple where the head tube has been pulled off).

Don't think brave covers it.

Re:

In my eagerness to make a reply, er rant, I forgot about mentioning the lack of trail on the "crowns" compared to proper Lefty clamps which do this instead of it being inbuilt in drop-outs on the normal forks. You can see it in the pics on his original sale thread.

The head tube cracked at the front from installing a tight fitting headset cup
Not from excessive leverage from forks

The travel an height of leftys can be altered so the travel can be reduced to gt s recommended limit for the frame
If you google lefty 29 er. Mods you will see

The crowns are nearly the same width as the one lefty crown that came with the forks I will add a pic

Every pair of forks vary in width you could have some big downhill forks capable of taking a 3. Inch tyre or some budget double crown forks that a 3 inch won't fit because the crowns are narrower

The lip on the headset cup hAs a notch in it where it sits against the weld the bearing area is untouched

It's a for sale thread ffs if you don't want to buy keep your shitty comments to your selves

Will split frame an forks if anyone is interested

mattr":31d3xalf said:
No to mention the fork offset is completely wrong now. It'll handle like a dog.
Also, the frame isn't designed for a twin crown set up (I've seen a couple where the head tube has been pulled off).

Don't think brave covers it.

How is the offset wrong
The front wheel is inline with the head tube the crowns are nearly the same width in the old pic the top headset race wasn't fitted in the pic I don't think

dan28":2zcuc1zj said:
The head tube cracked at the front from installing a tight fitting headset cup
Not from excessive leverage from forks

The travel an height of leftys can be altered so the travel can be reduced to gt s recommended limit for the frame
If you google lefty 29 er. Mods you will see

The crowns are nearly the same width as the one lefty crown that came with the forks I will add a pic

Every pair of forks vary in width you could have some big downhill forks capable of taking a 3. Inch tyre or some budget double crown forks that a 3 inch won't fit because the crowns are narrower

The lip on the headset cup hAs a notch in it where it sits against the weld the bearing area is untouched

I know that using the forks didn't crack head-tube, I can read. You tried to force in a headset cup that was too big.

Does the headset cup have a notch in it the full length of the weld visible in pics? If so the cup can't be held tightly in head-tube and will loosen.

If the crowns are not the same width as original Lefty ones the wheel will not be centred in line with frame, how can it be?
Also forks need to have what's called trail for bike handling, this is achieved by the Lefty clamps being angled forwards to move the contact point of tyre in front of the line the head-tube would contact ground, on the Fox crowns there is virtually no forward angle as the trail comes from the fork dropouts. The frame/forks will not handle as designed.

Our "shitty comments" are because you are trying to sell a bodge job with no thought to what might happen if an unsuspecting buyer uses the bike the way it is intended.
Did you ride the bike as bodged, if you did, for how long?

Back