GT RTS - what's the ride like?

Re: Re:

Jan-Cor":77barc3c said:
So I want to ask you what kind of fork do you prefer and why?
(my current GT rts-1 has the Manitou Mach5 because in those days I was not a fan of RockShox)

I know the rear shock is very difficult to find.
What options do I have for mounting another rear shock?

I hope you can help me.

Hi,

Period Judy's suit the back end well with SL 63/DH 80mm travel.

Noleen shocks are available new: http://shop.noleenj6.com/category.sc;js ... tegoryId=7

New Risse alternative: http://www.risseracing.com/gt.shtml

Thias":jtmb47pw said:
I am building up a RTS-1 just to answer that question. How good (or bad) does it ride. Especially compared to newer bikes. Like the LTS or my Mantra.

I would like to take the advantage of some RTS owners reading this.
My RTS has, as I think, too much play in the rocker. Please take a look at my short vid: http://videos.mtb-news.de/37221
This is the play pressing the rocker sideways
Am I missing parts here?
Are there any good guides online, how to diassembe/ reassemble this par of the frame?

Very different to either. The LTS is soft with a lot more travel. The Klein has a URT setup, it's unique anyway and the BB moves relative to the seat so you feel that comapred to the RTS.

You may have parts missing, or the bearings may have failed (unlikely). The rocker should be spaced from the from the frame mounts with two tophat washers, one either side. I custom made mine to reduce the bending of the mounts when the bolt is tightened. It is very easy to dismantle, although you may need deep sockets for the chainstay/rocker bolt.

There should be a spacer between the bearings in the rocker. The bearings do not push through the rocker for removal, they have to be pulled out.

edit - if you need spares try here (that's where my rebuild kit came from): http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":39m33hpq said:
Isn't an rts just a suspension zaskar? How do the two compare?

They're nothing alike to ride, my Zaskar is super stiff and efficient, the RTS comfy, the welding and head badge are similar I guess.

I've been wondering about a different rear shock for mine, not that it needs one as it was a nos frame and shock and I've shamefully put less than 100 miles on it, despite rejigging the build a few times.

Some of the earlier fox shox, possibly later ones too have a removeable end on the shaft (unscrews). I have contemplated whether is it worth getting something machined that can simply screw on to the fox shaft, yet fit through the seat tube and mount as the noleen shock does.

Anyone think that this is worth investigating or just plain silly? No idea why, but I just can't seem to get my head around buying a Risse shock. If there was a chance of no import duty and tax, then I'd probably do that one day, but it just seems a lot of money, plus the noleen shock works well in my view.

GT RTS HELP

Hello, I've acquired a GT rts frame with alloy front triangle and steel rear end. It's been bodged by rattle cans at some time but is dent free and well restorable.
My query is that under the paint on the alloy frame it appears to have been anodised gold, it's definately not paint but can't see any reference to a gold coloured model.
Also the frame number makes no sense at all . Could anybody please clarify what model it is. Serial number is :H5G023323, thanks for any help.

That's interesting. I know of two people who bought rts 2s from a bike shop in Peterborough. They were rich kids who had a millionaire dad. I worked at the company their dad owned and they were proud as anything with their new bikes and posed around the car park on them. A few weeks later, a poor kid (me) rocks up to work with the same bike as them (log story but in short, I had 2 bikes stolen and the new for old left me with a lot of £ to spend on a bike. The shop they bought their's from had been sent an extra one by accident and they were going to send it back but let me have it for the £ my insurance would pay, a few hundred less than the £1,399 asking price).

As you might expect, the rich boys with their toys were none too impressed that a pleb like me had the same bike they did, so they both set about upgrading and such. Both had their frames anodised gold, with custom rts-? decals made to hide the origins they were rts 2 frames, they also threw lots of cash at components too, judy fork upgrades etc.

I know that one of these bikes suffered a damaged frame and was sold, last I heard (about 4 years ago) the other was still owned by one of them but hanging in the garage.

I wonder if you have one of these frames? Any repair work noticeable on it at all?

At work we used to joke that after they had finished their customising, it looked like a bike you could buy from ratners the jewellers. GT Ratner Tuned Suspension. They didn't like that too much.

Back