GT Karakoram K2 - 1990. Complete. Original. Lovely.

Aeronaut

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I don't know where to start...

Buy my lovely bike, it Needs a Good Loving home :(

GT Karakoram K2 1990 - size 19" ? but not sure

can't believe i'm doing this...

I've owned this bike from new, purchased in late '89. Been frequently toying with the idea of selling but just couldn't bring myself to go ahead with it, 'til now. It's been a hard choice for me to make considering the amount of time i've owned it, but can't see it getting any use now as it's been languishing under covers in the garage for too long. I seem to drag it out on occasions, stare at it for a bit, then push it back to whence it came..

The bike's in really good condition for it's years. Full DX equipped. It really shines throughout.

Still rides awesome and feels very solid, gears change just fine. Headset and hub bearings are all good. All run smooth and free!

Original equipment throughout apart from BB and grips. The grips are a year or two later but virtually identical.

Few scratches/chips to the frame that can easily be touched in. No dents whatsoever. (i have a new VW black touch up kit that i'll throw in that will match the paint just perfect!)
Any imperfections you can see in the photos look exaggerated and in my whole honesty most are not even worth a mention... it's all nice patina. Paint damage is strictly minimal!..see pics

Minor decal damage in places mostly on the drive side, but they really are minor and hardly show due to the nature of the splatter paint finish..see pics

Still on it's original Ritchey Megabite tyres, although the rear is showing some wear. The walls are all good! Front is near perfect I think. Both still useable and look good.

Saddle I recovered in leather as the old cover was torn.

Whoever changed the BB for me many years ago managed to scratch the non-drive side bottom bracket face so that will need touching.. (see pics) Annoyed i noticed that but again it's nothing a small touch of paint won't fix. It's basically hidden anyway.

The bike has never been apart except for areas that required routine maintenance. A majority of it is still pretty much how it rolled out of the shop. It's had minimal fettling over the years, but then it's never needed much. I tried to look after as best as i could.

Still has original brake blocks and cables.

Comes with the original instaflate pump and foot straps. I also have the warranty/spec cards that came with it, plus gear & brake instructions still in it's pack.

Looking for £300. Pick up/cash on collection preferred. Inspection's most welcome :)

No offers or trades. I won't be breaking it. thanks.

I would rather not have to dismantle and box it for delivery.
(may consider delivery if buyer arranges. I have a bike box incase but it's a biggun and probably exceeds the cheaper price options. more room for padding and bubbles tho)

I've been honest with the description and have outlined any bad points that i felt needed to be. The photos show them all, there is nothing to hide here... It's just one hell of a bike. Still rides like it did 21 years ago.

I really want this to go to someone who will appreciate it as much as i did and keep it as it stands. It would break me heart to see it stripped and sold for parts, something i won't be doing if this doesn't sell.

Please study the pics for condition> Full set plus more are uploaded here> http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/flysurfer/GT MTB/?start=all

IMG_1000001942.jpg

IMG_1000001944.jpg

IMG_1000001947.jpg

IMG_1000001952.jpg

IMG_1000001951.jpg

IMG_1000001953.jpg

IMG_1000001961.jpg

IMG_1000001974.jpg

IMG_1000001978.jpg

IMG_1000001981.jpg

IMG_1000001956.jpg

IMG_1000001966.jpg

IMG_1000001950.jpg

IMG_1000001970.jpg

IMG_1000001972.jpg

IMG_1000001979.jpg

IMG_1000001985.jpg

IMG_1000001988.jpg

gt-stuff077.jpg

Any questions or more pics needed, don't hesitate to ask..

Thanks,

Wayne (slightly forlorn... I shall miss it)

can't believe i'm doing this...

I've owned this bike from new,

Then, unless you're desperate, keep it you Muppet!......they're your scars and scratches on it, mean nothing to anyone else, but it's your history which can't be replaced.

I sold a bike I'd had from new once and regretted it, not immediatly, but in time ended up buying it back and now it has someone elses scars on it :evil: ..........anyhow, I ramble, I love a nice original bike :cool:

That sir, is a stunner.

My most favourite of all the Karakoram colourways. Inferno and Tequilla are nice, and there are others I can't even remember the name of, but this is my mostest favourite.

Worth every penny of the asking price too, imho, based on the pics.. :cool:

GLWS

Very clean, you've looked after that, keep it unless you really need the money and can't raise it some other way. So what if you just look at it from time to time, if it means alot to you its no different from a piece of art, or a classic car of value, its there for you to enjoy and cherish whatever way you deem fit.

Re:

Hi all,

I’m pretty sure I’m the current owner of this bike. I purchased it from LFGSS https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/295991/ in November for my girlfriend, but unfortunately it is the wrong bike for her. Which confirms my suspicion that I was indeed buying it with me in mind (an ex-nineties MTBer), and not her (a casual weekend potterer looking for comfort over retro cool points)…

So I have to sell it.

Not sure of the journey it’s been on since Aeronaut owned it, or where the guy I bought it from got hold of it, but the condition really is great, from what I can tell the only difference between Aeronaut’s original pics and now, is that the tyres have been changed (which I actually think work a treat, for both style and comfort). This bike has led a well looked after life.

If I’m not following forum etiquette by not creating a new post, or by including a link to another classified ad elsewhere, please let me know. No, I haven’t read the rules.

I’m London based and looking for £250 for this classic bike. Happy to post up to date photos, and answer any questions.

Thanks.

Back