GT / Boardman Dilema - what would you choose?

Halfords can order you any bike that has a uk importer. It doesn't have to be one of the range they have for their stores. Speak to the person on your company who is dealing with halfords, they'll have the phone number of dedicated halfords cycle to work department who can arrange the order for you and have it shipped to your local store.

Rords":1euh230j said:
Interesting that you own GT's and still go for the Boardman. So it really is worth the extra £100 on the GT?!?
I'd say yes.

Better frame & forks for a start.

Although the Carrera Fury gives it a good run for it's money (decent frame, £250 forks, similar gears..) if you want to spend a little less. The Tora 318 is actually a better fork than the Recon on the Boardman, due to the Tora's Motion Control damping

Also worth checking as I seem to remember that C2W bikes are at full RRP, no 'sale' bikes...

I'd had heard that you could order in any bike. However, I called the Bike Scheme or what ever the scheme is called and basically if your company is less than 1000 employees you are on a slightly different scheme to the standard CTW Scheme and as such cannot order in any bike. A bit odd.

So it seems the lesser known Boardman shines through even against it pricier rival.

I like the finish on the boardman with the welds smoothed off - its difficult though for someone who knows very little. You price up the components and the GT seems to win - the Mazzochi's are £100 more than the Rockshox! But then you guys say the Mazzochi aren't up to much.

My company is less than 1000 people. We still run the scheme and there is only one. I and others have ordered non-halfords stocked bikes.

Tallpaul":l1y5au8v said:
My company is less than 1000 people. We still run the scheme and there is only one. I and others have ordered non-halfords stocked bikes.
halfords say they can get any bike and they can, as all they do is walk in to a ibd and buy it, then give the bike to you, this is at a cost as the cycle scheme take 10% commission off halfords, they only do it for bragging rights!
be carefull in buying none stock bikes from halfords as you wont get the full warranty on it as you will not be the original owner!!!!

KINFAST":3qg1kx9q said:
halfords say they can get any bike and they can, as all they do is walk in to a ibd and buy it, then give the bike to you, this is at a cost as the cycle scheme take 10% commission off halfords, they only do it for bragging rights!
be carefull in buying none stock bikes from halfords as you wont get the full warranty on it as you will not be the original owner!!!!

If Halfords didn't make any money from it, they wouldn't do it.

My Rock Lobster was sourced from Merlin Cycles via Halfords, I spoke direct to Merlin Cycles to agree the spec but paid Halfords for the bike. As such, my 12 month warranty was with Halfords but it was as if buying new with all the same legal rights, I had the documentation to show this.

I paid about £560 for a bike that would have cost £980 if purchased direct from Merlin Cycles. There was no catch.

I was extremely happy, as is the guy I work with who just collected his Stumpjumper FSR Comp. He even got 10%'s worth of the full RRP in Specialized accessories as it was promo Specialized were offering that month.

£699 - what would you buy?

Thanks all for the replies and info.

I think I need to call the Bike Scheme again and see whats what. I'd hate to pass up the opportunity of getting something I really want rather than being restricted to just Halfords range.

That opens up a whole new question:

If there are no restrictions what should I look for if I have £699 to spend?

Is the Boardman Comp still a contender.

Back