Growing hostility towards Mountainbikers and Cyclists

Skynet":pqcxo6cy said:
...People looking for easy thrills where they let gravity do the work over pedalling just makes it worse...

Like this, you mean...?

Photo%20100%20of%20100.jpg

ckrepack76.jpg

Aren't mountain bikes limited to 15mph in the Mt. Tam area now? I think we know who to blame then... ;)

Cycles of cycling. Same crap killed MTB in the don where I ride for a bit ... Than people grew up and got more politically active. The trails have never been better and there is the combined will to push back against nonsense.

Just need a strong push back in this case to some sensible common ground.

Re: antipathy toward cyclists

Here in Vancouver, some bonehead on a bike collided with a pregnant woman (I think she was in a cross-walk) and then took off, without stopping to see if she was okay. Some by-standers witnessed the incident, it got blown right up through the media, and now some city council members are proposing a city-wide regulation mandating that every cyclist MUST register their bike, and carry a license/identification plate on it, in order to be allowed to ride.

Of course, that means more infrastructure, more bureaucracy, and more money in and out of the city's coffers.

Are cyclists required to license their bikes in other, perhaps European cities?

Re: antipathy toward cyclists

k-rod":lozukzvj said:
Are cyclists required to license their bikes in other, perhaps European cities?

Not anywhere that I know of - things like licensing and mandatory insurance of bikes gets proposed by rabidly pro-car lobbyists and the insurance industry from time to time, but it never goes anywhere because (I presume) it would be very unworkable, and would massively discourage people (especially children) from taking up cycling.

Europe has many countries within it that have cycles with reg numbers and an insurance requirements, the UK doesn't but should.

Re:

Exactly, which ones ?

Imagine if it was introduced !
Most of us would only have one or two road registered and insured bikes. Collecting would be killed off, I'd have to SORN twenty plus bikes, it'd be a disaster :shock:
Supporters of registering bikes would become very unwelcome in here :x

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/36287895[/vimeo]

something wrong with this or have we lost our sense of humour ?

Bicycle licensing/ registration/ insurance solves nothing

Personal insurance - yes but for pedal bicycles its completely impracticable.

Back