Green Orange lemon

Well…. the bearings are good in both, but the rear wheel has a bad flat spot. ☹️ Still, I’m a front wheel and cassette better off than I was this morning.

I’ve done my best on the rear wheel, but it is still knackered. I used Sheldon Brown’s method and got some of the flat spot out, but it turned out there were two flats and a lot of side to side wobble. I stripped it in the end - the rim was taco’d.

I’ve bought a donor bike and am collecting tomorrow. Fingers crossed it is useable.

I’ve not really been ‘in’ to mountain biking for years, but this ancient, battered Orange is changing that. My son and I went out on the mtbs for the first time in probably a year. The seatpost on his S-Works cost more than my bike!

A couple of little jumps, a bit of wimpy trials thrown in too!

Gotta fix the creak it has developed now….

Attachments

• IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1647.jpeg
    IMG_1647.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1658.jpeg
    IMG_1658.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Outstanding result! My Evo2 surprised me. A local 'bargain' that was more of a rescue project than I expected. Lovely to ride.

Thank you!

Jobs done:

- BB out and cranks off.
- Cleaned and re-greased with copper grease
- New middle ring arrived. Cleaned inner and outer rings from the donor bike.
- Removed my borrowed XT rings, fitted the cleaned rings and the new ring.
- Re-fitted chainset
- Lowered front mech and adjusted shifting
- Trimmed the cables
- Shortened the chain
- Ride!

So far the only new parts have been:
- rear gear cable
- rear brake pads
- middle chain ring

So £20 of bits. Not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpeg
    IMG_1679.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
At Swinley Forest today 😁

The trails have changed a lot since I rode here last but luckily a group of e-mtb riders offered me to tag along. Thanks chaps!

Obviously they rinsed me on the climbs but on the flowing sections I was pleased the old Orange could keep up. I stood no chance on the very rooty sections, their big tyres and long travel were way better than my 80mm fork and 1.95” tyres.

My shoulders ache a bit now, but the bike was flawless. No squeaks, creaks or rattles and the brakes are really strong. Flippin’ brilliant.

So to put the smiles per mile into some context: the parking, coffee and bacon roll today cost more than the initial £10 purchase price! In fact, all in, donor bike and the new bits included, cost less than one of their front tyres. 😮

SP

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpeg
    IMG_1683.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 3
Back