Gravel bike packing, its all done wrong IMO

I think there was some merit on critisizing the "bikepacking" packing style. There are only 2 situations where I think using multiple bags attached to the frame is better:
-for aerodynamic purposes: those trying to beat some record or taking part in one of those endurance events
-for tough offroad routes where a lot of hike-a-bike or rough singletrack with a lot of vibration is expected

To be honest, the above 2 situations apply to about 5% of most touring journeys for most people. In most cases people buy bikepacking bags because 1) it's in fashion or 2) their bikes have no attachments for a good old rack. Fashion is fine as long as you are aware of it. In modern bikes expected to be use for long adventures I think there's no excuse for not having rack (and even mudguard) eyelets. They don't affect the geometry, the weight or the looks of any bike, at least in my opinion.

I prefer to use the old system of racks and panniers because:
-it's what I already have. No extra investment required. They fit all my bikes.
-I don't take part in races, and if my route is too gnarly I just strap a backpack to my rear rack that I wear in the hike-a-bike sections
-measuring in capacity, a bikepacking setup is 3x more expensive than panniers (for valid reasons like limited production runs, multiple sizes to fit different frames, etc , but still). To top that up, in order to fit your camping stuff, you also need top of the range sleeping bag, tent, etc to get them as compact as possible to fit in your bags
-bikepacking bags rub the paint of my frame, and once the trip is over, they are pretty much useless. With panniers I can do my weekly shopping, carry my laptop to work, books to school, toys for the playground,... so I get more money for my investment.

The excuse that a bikepacking set up is lighter is a bit lame. Tubus racks are sturdy and light (and cost less than half a Tailfin) and the fact you can carry 4 full panniers does not mean you have to. When travelling alone I just use the 2 at the rear, and half full so I can do my food shopping before disappearing into a forest for a wild camping night...

I think there was some merit on critisizing the "bikepacking" packing style. There are only 2 situations where I think using multiple bags attached to the frame is better:
-for aerodynamic purposes: those trying to beat some record or taking part in one of those endurance events
-for tough offroad routes where a lot of hike-a-bike or rough singletrack with a lot of vibration is expected

To be honest, the above 2 situations apply to about 5% of most touring journeys for most people. In most cases people buy bikepacking bags because 1) it's in fashion or 2) their bikes have no attachments for a good old rack. Fashion is fine as long as you are aware of it. In modern bikes expected to be use for long adventures I think there's no excuse for not having rack (and even mudguard) eyelets. They don't affect the geometry, the weight or the looks of any bike, at least in my opinion.

I prefer to use the old system of racks and panniers because:
-it's what I already have. No extra investment required. They fit all my bikes.
-I don't take part in races, and if my route is too gnarly I just strap a backpack to my rear rack that I wear in the hike-a-bike sections
-measuring in capacity, a bikepacking setup is 3x more expensive than panniers (for valid reasons like limited production runs, multiple sizes to fit different frames, etc , but still). To top that up, in order to fit your camping stuff, you also need top of the range sleeping bag, tent, etc to get them as compact as possible to fit in your bags
-bikepacking bags rub the paint of my frame, and once the trip is over, they are pretty much useless. With panniers I can do my weekly shopping, carry my laptop to work, books to school, toys for the playground,... so I get more money for my investment.

The excuse that a bikepacking set up is lighter is a bit lame. Tubus racks are sturdy and light (and cost less than half a Tailfin) and the fact you can carry 4 full panniers does not mean you have to. When travelling alone I just use the 2 at the rear, and half full so I can do my food shopping before disappearing into a forest for a wild camping night...
I don't think anyone on here is saying that modern bike-packing rigs are going to make traditional panniers redundant. As I mentioned before, I have a set of 4 Ortlieb bags that I use on my hybrid for maximum capacity on longer adventures. However, for shorter MTB bike-packing trips, I use a frame bag, saddle bag and handlebar bag, which reduces overall capacity, encourages minimalism and preserves manoeuvrability and handling.

They serve different purposes, both rigs have their place, and on a budget, an individual needs to decide what suits them better. I am lucky to have both, but I also looked for very canny bargains second hand. I've included my costs for both rigs below, if anyone's interested:

Traditional panniers

Unbranded Rear pannier
£10 - marketplace

Blackburn front rack
£10 - local bike charity

Ortlieb front and rear classic roller bags
£130 - bought from a mate

Total: £150

MTB bike-packing bags

Revelate handlebar roll, with secondary smaller bag, bought with Moosetraks frame bag
£45 same local bike charity

Large Saddle bag
£10 - Lidl middle aisle

Total: £55

So my MTB rig ended up being cheaper than my fancy waterproof pannier rig 🤷‍♂️

Been doing up and testing our Surly heavy road trucker and obviously I’ve got it all wrong compared to the modern gravel trends ahaha I found the front pannier bags really useful for smashing through undergrowth and single track didn’t even get one nettle sting on my pinkies
42A7D5F8-5F26-4D4A-8201-7A077D49088C.jpeg

Attachments

• 234C44C6-1165-472B-8B56-086B97D70EED.jpeg
    234C44C6-1165-472B-8B56-086B97D70EED.jpeg
    866.5 KB · Views: 7
Lovely Surly 🤗
It’s a Long Haul Trucker I got the name wrong

yeh we were pretty lucky to get it back it was somehow on loan out to a few refugees for a year or so (when our gen’ policy was to loan bikes to a second hand value of 50 quidish)

luckily it came back for a service and I swopped it out for something else and luckily the guy wasn’t bothered

Last edited:
Lovely Surly 🤗
Thanks dude, it really is a very nice bike and very capable it seems although I havent done a 50kg red route test yet ahaha

not had much experience with a surly in the flesh but hopefully it ll be put to some long distance offroad use or as a deep forest trail building welfare vehicle

It’s currently been filled with all the spare workshop tools and donated old stock cycleclothing for testing purposes

Back