gps logging app for android phones?

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
having just killed my latest blackberry i've gone onto android Os phones instead.

I am after a gps trip logger type app so that i can map out my journeys a tad more accurately than a rough guess for when i decide to go 'off piste' through the woods.

any suggestions folks?

Sportypal and GPS Essentials would also do the job I think (and Bike Hub is out on Android now too)..

I just use google tracks for logging, there is also an OS map tool where you can pre load the maps - It is ok but a little slow.

I use Viewranger on my Symbian phone, but there is an Android version - I love it - 1:25000 OS mapping - you can pick OS map 'tiles' to suit you etc etc etc. Customer support is quick (UK based, small outfit), personal responses.

http://www.viewranger.com/

Also has this buddy tracking functionality where you can see where your friends are using the same software (and whoever is at home can see where you are)... should you so want :oops:

Last time I looked at viewranger (for Symbian, admittedly) it was a pricey thing... is it still a tad rich?

It all depends what features you want / need from the software. Sportstracklive can monitor / record HR & training zones and several other bits and bobs that I would never use. You pays your money (or not for a basic free one) and makes your choice.

IDB1":15ip81l8 said:
Last time I looked at viewranger (for Symbian, admittedly) it was a pricey thing... is it still a tad rich?

Software is free with purchase of OS map tiles. You can get 800 sq km (I think) for £20 and then additional sq km at £5 increments (forget how many sq km). Plenty of routes to buy, but I tend to make my own up.

I use mytracks, quite simple in terms of mapping - it overlays onto google maps - but all the stats are there that you would probably need, and it's free!!

Back