Golden Age Cycles listings on Ebay - frames

Oh, and 'Bontrager' that he's helpfully not listed as 'MTB'

That bontrager is interesting - I don't think the frame is actually a privateer, even though it has the original paint and decals.

It looks more like a later model Race to me - removable rear canti mounts, gussets on chainstay and seattube and longer gussets on the top tube and down tube.

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The seat-tube clamp area's mangled though, yes?

Don't think so. It certainly wasn't standard, but I've seen other bontragers with that reinforced section on the seat tube clamp area.

Oh, and having had a closer look, the rear dropout is plate steel rather than forged - its definitely a race.

Privateer - note the thicker section in the middle

Capture.PNG

Race - same gauge

Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
Strange the paint decals look original.....but your identification looks totally accurate.....v.odd.

I would say that it is a privateer colourway.. but the seat tube reinforcement is as per my Race light. Lemme see if I can find a pic

Hmm, interesting stuff!

I'm still thinking that this is a Privateer frameset TBH. I'm guessing that maybe the very early ones might have used Race type dropouts?

Either way, that needs buying if the price stays low. If the rust hasn't eaten it too much just sort a powdercoat and you have a smashing rider :D

Back