Going rate for a mechanic

Not quite the answers I was expecting, but interesting!

The Evans headset quote, I think they got wrong but for the record it was just for fitting one I provided and I think they have every right to charge properly, but it was too much. In the end I took it to my LBS which was (strangely!) less convenient and I trust them more! And cheaper. And they were amused to see a 14 year old frame!

Getting a bike serviced in London is a nightmare, especially since the increase in cycling. There are so many people happy to pay £10 + parts to have a puncture repaired. I don't say this as someone who often gets things done in bike shops, but from friends who offer to pay me to fix their bike - like the guy who spent £60 on a GT Palomino (in full Police paint job!) a year or so ago, took it to the bike shop and was quoted £190 to service it (including replacing a few bits)

I wondered what I should charge them. I'm happy to do favours for friends, but at the same time they want to pay me and it's a good excuse to use the cash on bike bits ...

[Caveat: I'm a rampant capitalist by trade. Everything has its price: the one the market will bear] ;)

i replaced some bearings in a rear wheel a few weeks back and charged £6, the bearings cost me about £3 with grease....took about 30 mins

i spose replacing a headset id charge about £8 if they had a new one already

Back