Gillot information

markpin

Retro Newbie
Hi

My Uncle bought a new Gillot in the mid 50s and had it and used it most days until he had an accident in 2015 on it. I believe it was stolen while he was being taken into hospital after being knocked off it.

I have only just found out about this because I was asking him about my own old bike which came from his brother and is a similar vintage. I am so frustrated that people can behave this way and steal a bike after someone has been knock off it! He is now nearly 90 but still has a reasonable memory of his past cycling, being a keen rider ever since the 40s until a couple of years ago.

I would love to know more about these lightweight bikes to give him some information.

I know its highly unlikely that his bike will ever be traced but wouldn't that be nice! Unfortunately he moved to New Zealand in the late 50s so the bike must have be taken by someone around the Hamilton area in North Island.

Does anyone on here know anything interesting about these bike and does anyone have any contacts into cycling in New Zealand who might know about any retro lightweights being sold over the last few years?

Thanks
Mark

Re:

Mark
More on the Gillott marque at Classic Lightweights
start with http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/gillott.html and follow the links, including the links at the top of the page to the Flickr albums.
If the serial number or other features were known, then Mark should be advised.

There are a few threads on Gillotts in the BNA Retro Forums. Gillotts were exported after the war and a number found homes in Australia and New Zealand.
have a look at these threads.
Only one has appeared in the Retro Cycle Marketplace FB group. I am aware of its history before it was owned by Roger. It was advertised in Adelaide as an old bike and the details and serial number were identified by a bike collector friend as a Gillott. I collected it from the Adelaide seller and posted it to Roger. It came from an area favoured by British migrants after WW2. It was just too large a frame for me.

More Gillotts at the FB group Gillott Bicycles https://www.facebook.com/groups/870095786396496

You could also contact the owner of theflyingwheel blog as he has interest and knowledge of bikes of this period and is a Kiwi.

It would help a lot if there were details of the bike, the components at the date of the accident, and if there are any photos.

You could also put the story at the FG Group Retro Cycle Classics.
There is an interchange between Australia and NZ ("just across the ditch") so it may generate interest.

Philip
Adelaide, Australia

Re:

Hi Phillip

Thanks for the information. I will look into your points and also post on the group,

I know he had his bike when he lived in South London from when he would have bought it until he went to NZ in the late 50s and he took it with him. Thats one of the reasons that it annoys me so much as he had it from new for 60 years, used it daily for much of that time and then it was stolen while he was injured. I imagine that if it made it on to ebay or similar over there then someone might be using it unaware that it had such a history. It would be nice to make progress however unlikely it is so I will do as you suggest. I have just read all about these bikes on the classic lightweights site, its good.

Thanks again

Mark

Back