Gazelle Champion Mondial Semi Race ... my favorite Gazelle

Thanks.

I do agree with you, although I find that taking an old frame and adding modern bits to use it is also appealing. I am thinking of a Koga Miyata Terraliner Oval frame to build up a modern ATB. It has the same frame tubes as the Koga you showed in your pictures.
I like both approaches… here’s my early 90s CM with modern (ish) bits shortly after completion and also in a “race” sometime thereafter (sorry about showing so much skin)… there’s another waiting to be built up with 1st generation dura ace (a wait that may prove quite long!)!

Enjoy your beautiful thing!

Attachments

• D485C7A0-5C01-4808-BCD0-671FFC0DC285.jpeg
    D485C7A0-5C01-4808-BCD0-671FFC0DC285.jpeg
    825.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DBA38917-D704-43F6-B719-A6C9316B5470.jpeg
    DBA38917-D704-43F6-B719-A6C9316B5470.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 19
I like both approaches… here’s my early 90s CM with modern (ish) bits shortly after completion and also in a “race” sometime thereafter (sorry about showing so much skin)… there’s another waiting to be built up with 1st generation dura ace (a wait that may prove quite long!)!

Enjoy your beautiful thing!
Great to see a Champion Mondial being used. A 90s CM, so the modern parts look perfect on it.

Last edited:
With temperatures starting to rise, I am looking forward to service the Gazelle soon. I have decided to put some Panaracer Pasela 28mm tyres I have, on it. This because of vcballcat's insights on these rims, that may not take a folding tyre very well. And I have finally found a Carradice. It is brandnew actually, but that doesn't bother me. It is a very nice Nelson longflap made by Susan. Cost me 35 pounds or 40 euros. Pics to follow, when the sun is out.

First Ride!

This afternoon I took the old flaking tyres off and put a pair of Panaracer Pasela 28mm on with new Conti tubes. Then I fitted the Carradice Nelson, which is huge really, Ortlieb pannier size, nice! I put my new camera, a lock and my wallet in it. Although they predicted rain today, it is a beautiful sunny day and 12 degrees C. I went for a short ride around the village. It rides beautifully really, it wants to go. Perfect for leisurely riding in beautiful weather enjoying a classic Gazelle. I am really happy with it. Except for the drop bars, I am thinking of a Nitto Jitensha for it. Any suggestions welcome on handlebars.

DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0012.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have a Champion Mondial semi-race, which I like a lot:

4ad4fb47-ec6f-41c2-a53e-5fd2a13c6786.jpg

I have ridden it with 'Cinelli priest type' bars, but didn't like those in the end.

ccf483c8-eddf-44fd-aeed-86fc043b1f83.jpg

However, it does feel a tad too small. So, when I found the same bike in a larger size for sale last year I decided to get it.

Today I finally finished the first build:

IMG_20230409_190338152.jpg

I have a Champion Mondial semi-race, which I like a lot:

4ad4fb47-ec6f-41c2-a53e-5fd2a13c6786.jpg

I have ridden it with 'Cinelli priest type' bars, but didn't like those in the end.

ccf483c8-eddf-44fd-aeed-86fc043b1f83.jpg

However, it does feel a tad too small. So, when I found the same bike in a larger size for sale last year I decided to get it.

Today I finally finished the first build:

View attachment 729065
Look great. What year are they? Not sure about the Ergopower, to be honest..

Back