Gas Pipe special and the road to 205km plus

Hey,

I had a go at the Eroica parcours on Monday. I tried it solo, only managed 150km, for which I will use mechanical problems as an excuse.

I wrote up the story if you want to read it - see my 'Eroica Solo Effort' thread.

I have some thoughts about the specifics of the ride as well, I can share if you want, but maybe you want to keep it as a challenge, learning how to adapt as you do the course. But I'm happy to tell you my thoughts if you're interested.

Cheers,

Johnny

Well i'm slowly building up the miles I'm riding a 5 mile route most days. As soon as I've reduced my time for this route by 30-50% I'll double the length to 10 miles.

I'm also noting my average speeds on the route to use as a general bench mark for leg strength.

I'm currently aiming to get my times down as quickly as possible but I realize
that the fitter I get the slower the Improvements will be.

I'm aiming to get to 30 mins for 10 miles and then double the distance again.

I'm still saving up to get a GPS with HRM and cadence which hopefully will take me on from there.

Any thought's advise idea's please pm or post..

Thanks, John

Hello,

I would consider building some longer routes into your scheme. Building strength (which is what your current regime seems aimed at) is important,
but stamina is also important. Don't worry about times at the beginning,
just start with say a 2-3 hour ride at a pace that suits you and try to do
at least one of those a week. Then build it up a bit.

Also, for strength the following are helpful:
1) Try climbing a hill for 5min at a low cadence, then ride for about 10min on the flat at a high cadence, then repeat 2 or 3 times. Again, build up and do more of these as you get better. Of course, you need to find a hill the right length, but shouldn't be so hard on the Isle of Man...

2) Spinning: ride for maybe 2 minutes close to flat out, then ride slightly slower for 6 min. Repeat 2 or 3 times.

I did one or other of these maybe 3 times a week alternated with rest days.

These are easier with a heart monitor and cadence meter, but I have done them without as well. I found they helped a lot - even just the variety of different paces helps make training more interesting.

Hope that helps,

Johnny

@Johnny

Thank's again for some great input, I've been reading loads of the cycling mags that regularly feature training schemes to ride a sportive in a month etc. articles which concur with your recommendations.

The 5 mile route i'm currently using has a few small hills and I'm trying to keep my cadence high to get my legs in shape, I'm also working on trying to pull a bigger gear on subsequent rides while maintaining the same high cadence to build strength.

I'm still not fit enough to increase the distance much yet and as I'm only doing it by feel and a cycle computer Its hard to quantify my results, but my times are reducing as well as the ride getting easier even though I'm increasing my effort. I'm also recovering faster at the end of the ride which is a good sign.

I agree my next step should probably be to increase the ride duration whilst decreasing the efffort to try and build some stamina I'm looking at riding to work each day which is a 10 mile round trip.

I'm working towards getting fit enough to join the local club rides which are about 2 hours duration which will help.

I'd also like to have a go at a 10 with a target of 25-27 minutes..

As for the bikes I've got my 531 Raleigh Clubman in the ball park spec wise and the Carlton frame should be with me this week courtesy of Royal Mail.

I've been pulling loads of rear 6 and 7 speed cassettes apart and making my own 12-28 and 12-32's with tight high gears and a couple of climbing gears which has been fun, I've even got a 12-34 I've also found a 130 bcd 53/39 tooth for the front which should help with the hills and top speed.

Again I'm trying different things to see what I like. this will hopefully lead me to a set up for L'eroica 2014..

The spannering bit is easy its my body that needs the work :LOL:

Keep em coming, John

Just curious............which Carlton?

If you are going on club runs, try one of the small groups first if possible. Etiquette and getting riding in a group takes some getting used to.

Long time since I did a Club run and would struggle in a group without a bit of practice.

I ride alone now as an escape LOL

Shaun

its a 1980 531c Carlton Carrera.

I'm just after joining a club to get the miles in, it will also act as a barometer as to my general fitness, 99% of the time I'm training alone....

Further update

Well the Raleigh Clubman is on the road with a spec that is quite transient
(still trying things out), the Carlton Carrera has a drive train and temporary wheel set and awaits the postman for bars, stem, seat, brake levers and tyres....

I had a little ride the other day that turned into a 12mile one which incorporated a couple of climbs and was completed in 54 minutes which left me buzzing to do mileage...

Glad to say the miles are building up and the average speeds are following the trend.

Next goal is a HRM and 25mile route...

Hopefully I'll get some snaps of the bikes on here soon as well.

Bike pics

Just stuck a few pics up in the Readers road bikes part of the forum,

here's a link to the pics,
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214548

This retro biking lark is very addictive, I'm changing the bikes daily as I find stuff, I'm currently looking for wider bars for a better fit and Pre 1985 Brakes that actually work..... :?

As I'm getting fitter the spec's are changing as well I'm pretty close to changing the Clubman back to a closer road block and short cage as my legs are getting stronger by the day and the gaps between the gears are too big...

I'll probably have to refit them for L'Eroica though......

The Miles are building nicely I'll stick up some times in the next few days for you all to laugh at....

Back