FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY - *Pg 1 for updates/pics*

*long over due update:

short story is - not being able to make the bushes for my diy version, ive ended up shelling out for the top of seat stay and original shock linkage bearings.
since i already installed needle bearings and seals in the frame already, i just used the bushes and nylon washers from the sets which slipped in no problem.

i've got 2 x sealed bearings in each a-link with the original bush
2 x 2000RS bearings in the main pivot with 2 x metal washers and 2 x nylon washers

all put back together waiting to be fully assembled...

incase you are wondering, that is an original sharkfin disc adapter, but i removed the anodising (with oven cleaner) as i didnt like the blueish finish. think this matches the frame nicely now :) will probably finish off properly with a silver matt spray (got some exhaust spray paint somewhere)...

got an XT M770 groupset under the bed and some novatec hubbed wheels along with either hope minis or XT 4 pots - both sets need new hoses/servicing.

should have this finished in time for some summer fun!! :)

Re:

That's inspiring me to do something with my latest fsr, it's a 98 elite front end that I bought to go with a 99 elite 'bighit' back end that's been in the cave for the last 3 years :D

Re: Re:

toomanyframes":2t8tjaaw said:
That's inspiring me to do something with my latest fsr, it's a 98 elite front end that I bought to go with a 99 elite 'bighit' back end that's been in the cave for the last 3 years :D

i often thought the big hit rear ends would fit... is the Elite 'big hit' exactly that? did you pinch a rear end from a big hit and match it up?

i reckon you can find someone who can make the bushes. i have one other person ill try. if it works out, i'll let you know :)

then i'll be on the hunt for an fsr frame to upgrade with my diy outfit :p

Re:

No it's not that one ( the 24" back end,right?) it just the same as your there, even got the yellow and white decals, just one of them says bighit on it.
I'll try and get a picture up if can remember where I put the damn thing!! :D

Re:

I'm intrigued! I know this is the max back bone version seat stay, not sure I've seen a ' big hit' version though....

Pretty sure mine has the normal ground control seat stay, been looking out for a proper max/elite stay for a while, if I can widen my search with big hit stuff, it would help!

Re:

got a rolling frame now....
slowly adding transmission.
got grips on their way
need to sort out my disc brakes then ill be just cabling up the gears with a view to a test ride :)
not sure on the handle bars - the sweep and rise is a bit too much for me....not wide enough either...
sorry for the shoddy pic!

spec so far:
XT M770 cranks (not in image)
Race Face turbine BB
XT M770 rear mech (not in image)
XT M770 shifters (9x3) (not in image)
Marzocchi Bomber air
Hope stem
Club Roost bars
CK headset
spesh saddle
unknown seatpost - want to replace with ritchey later
Fox Float (RP2) rear shock with gonzo valve (means i dont have to take shock off frame to top up/let down)
XTM739 front mech (is the only one i've found that will fit without fouling the main pivot housing)
Alexrims (black with black spokes)
Novatec hubs
203mm front rotor (hope)
shimano 160mm rear rotor
Conti Race King tyres (i think)

Attachments

• fsr.jpg
    fsr.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,164
Anyone else having a go at this. I have the BETD link that has needle bearings so that part is good. The replacement 6000 bearings are a little loose in their housing finger tight but not dropping out on their own. Loctite or similar I guess but will I ever be able to get the bastards out again? One of my nylon top hat spacers is a little knackered as well and cannot be sourced so I'm going to have to come up with a creative solution for that. This is kind of fun, thanks to all those in this thread who have given great info!

Re:

Not bearing-related, but.. I have found that the 1997 Alivio MC14 front mech (FD-MC14) low-clamp version fits the FSR Max Backbone very nicely, right cage spacing & angles to use on a 2x setup, especially combined with a friction shifter, which avoids any indexing issues.

Re:

I've given up on finding a combination that works. I've gone 1x10 now:)
Bearings still going strong, although a little bit of play from either the main pivot our a-links, but to busy enjoying it to investigate it :)

Back