FS: Bridgestone RB-1 Road Frame

i-am-iron-man

Senior Retro Guru
1991 Bridgestone RB-1

Up for sale is my Grant Rivendell-designed Bridgestone RB-1. Little-known in the UK, any internet search on this bike returns words like "iconic" and "legendary" for the lugged construction and ride quality of this "everyman" racing frame.

I had this bike sent from the US after it became apparent that i didn't have the patience or fiscal-firepower to buy a 3Rensho. This seemed like the next best thing, also made from Ishiwata 4130 tubing. Rightly-or-wrongly I then had the bike renovated at Bob Jackson's, who also removed the looped cable guides and fitted a pair of slotted braze-ons so I could run aero levers. Unfortunately, the restoration combined with an unfavourable exchange-rate meant the bike was quite a costly affair; the bare frame was $500 before shipping and tax.

Top tube is 53cm centre-to-centre, seat tube is 53cm centre-to-top. It comes with a Dura Ace headset and spacing at the rear is fine for a modern set of wheels.

Condition is excellent. The bike didn't stay built for long after I stole the group set for something else. As you can see from all the seat tube in the photo the frame is a bit small for me. I mis-judged the size and stupidly didn't build it for a test ride before i sent it off to BJ's. As such, it covered minimal mileage - probably sub-100 - before I boxed it up and stored it.

Looking for £350 for the frame UK-delivered; happy to send it overseas at cost.

I always knew this wasn't a very Retrobike sort of a frame, and definitely not something well known in the UK, but here's a final thought on how pretty this bike looks...

c838eb5b.jpg

376f61b1.jpg

I have one of these but unfortunately not with original forks. Fantastic frames, they ride beautifully. If this was the right size I'd be snapping your hand off for it! Good luck with the sale.

Dare I say one of the NICEST mass production road bikes from this era? The XO-1, RB-1 and the Atlantis are must haves for any roadie/collector that rides their collection.

seaneee":1jculkpi said:
Dare I say one of the NICEST mass production road bikes from this era? The XO-1, RB-1 and the Atlantis are must haves for any roadie/collector that rides their collection.

... Which is why I have mixed hindsight about messing with the braze-ons and repainting it, as nice as it is.

I'm very grateful for the comments.

Alistair

It is very beautiful frame I love it very much! BS is the biggest bike manufacturer in Japan with great reputation for reliability, design and its craftsmanship. If anyone here knows that 80's Muddyfox frame are great because they were made in Japan by Araya, the BS would be x10 more popular than Araya in Japan, if you know what I mean.

Its shame the frame is a bit too small for me. I wish your good luck with the sales. Have you thought about putting advert on London fixed gear site? (www.lfgss.com sorry Mr Admin no offence!) There are quite few BS and Japanese frame followers who are keen to get hold of it.

Back