FS: 20" Merlin XLM MTB (at least check out the pictures)

MySweetFixie

Retro Newbie
I'm interested in selling my Merlin XLM. I've had this bike for about 6 years and have put (maybe) 100 miles on it. I initially acquired it with big dreams of riding it forever, but work (in NYC, without much mountain biking) and now medical school (in Vermont! But I have no time/money) leaves the bike sitting in my bedroom unridden. I'm super strapped for cash right now and I should sell it.

I would like to get $1075 +PP and shipping (from United States) for the complete bike (I think that's an even £700?). If this is entirely too much/too little please let me know. I know much more about road bikes and don't have a great gauge on mountain bike stuff, especially a bike like this.

There are a lot of really neat/cool/vintage parts on this bike, so I'm not entirely opposed to splitting this bike up. If I can get someone to commit to buying the frame I would feel totally comfortable atomizing the rest.

I'm in Burlington, VT (USA) if anyone is local and wants to check it out...

Finally, I may be a new seller, but I'm not dodgy. If you are interested in purchasing the bike I'm happy to exchange phone numbers, Facebook profile, etc to work out any details. I've posted my Ebay account in my profile as well as my Paceline forum account information in my profile.

Here are the details:
Bike is in excellent condition. There are no dents/dings/scrapes on the frame. The decals show slight wear, as seen in the photographs. The drivetrain is in great shape and works smoothly, especially considering its age. The wheels I just put new brake pads on the bike, too. I (sort of recently) replaced the fork and I think it has ~75 miles on it. It's pristine. The remote lockout for the fork currently is missing its cable, but I can replace that before sending (the mechanism and remote are both present and functioning though).

I've hunted around to try to figure out more about this bike and haven't gotten much. One mechanic told me it could have been a show bike as it has no serial. It also has the (from what I understand) much more desirable integrated seatpost clamp setup.

Frame: 20" center to center (TT=61cm, ST=51cm, HT=15cm, CS=42.2cm)
Stand Over: 32"/81.4cm
Frame Tubing Material: 3Al/2.5V titanium, double-butted
Fork Brand & Model: Rock Shox Recon U-turn (w/ remote lockout)

Components
Brakes: Avid ST 2.0 V brakes
Brake Levers: Black/Silver Avid Speed Dial
Shift Levers: STX RC
Front Derailleur: XTR m950
Rear Derailleur: XTR m950
Crankset: Cook Bros Racing E-Crankset
Water Bottle Cage: not included (sry!)
Chainrings: Real Chainring (nickel plated)
Bottom Bracket: ??? (will check, I think it was something neat)
BB Shell Width: 68mm English
Cassette: 8-speed, 12 - 32 teeth
Seatpost: Syncros Pro Series titanium (27.2 mm diameter)
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite (titanium w/ perforated leather)
Headset: 1 1/8" Chris King
Stem: FSA Vision
Handlebars: Answer Protaper Riser
Grips: Yeti ODI
Seatpost Clamp: Integrated

Wheels
Hubs: WTB Greaseguard
Rims: Mavic 217 SUP, 32-hole
Tires: VelociRaptor
Spokes: Titanium (save 0.5lbs of rotating weight! Wow!)
Spoke Nipples: Alloy

Here's an overall picture of the frame and a gallery with the rest of the pictures. If you have any questions please let me know! I'm happy to take more photographs and provide more information.

JCfiWEo.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Re: WOW!!

WOW!! A complete Merlin XLM (Xtra Light Merlin) for 1'075.00$ ?!

That's a real steal! It's a bargain Price by all accounts-

- I've seen identical XLM Frames with BB (bottom bracket) ALONE go for 1600 - 2000.00$.

- The Merlin XLM Frame was considered to be one of the VERY BEST rigid MTB Frames of all time
by the highly respected MBA Magazine (Mountain Bike Action Magazine).

- Great parts on it: Flite titanium saddle, Syncros titanium seatpost, Cook Bros E crankset...etc... - top notch

- It's a 1995 model, which makes it even more desirable, since it was still 100% Merlin made and the first year of production for XLM's. ;-)

Re: WOW!!

biker23":33u9f8c1 said:
WOW!! A complete Merlin XLM (Xtra Light Merlin) for 1'075.00$ ?!

That's a real steal! It's a bargain Price by all accounts-

- I've seen identical XLM Frames with BB (bottom bracket) ALONE go for 1600 - 2000.00$.

- The Merlin XLM Frame was considered to be one of the VERY BEST rigid MTB Frames of all time
by the highly respected MBA Magazine (Mountain Bike Action Magazine).

- Great parts on it: Flite titanium saddle, Syncros titanium seatpost, Cook Bros E crankset...etc... - top notch

- It's a 1995 model, which makes it even more desirable, since it was still 100% Merlin made and the first year of production for XLM's. ;-)

Thanks! I've been having a weirdly difficult time selling this bike. I figure with the exchange rate we could both get a good deal?

Back