FS: 1988 Paul Donohue double U bike (project) SOLD

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
After some head scratching, the odd reprieve - and the usual umming and arring or course - I've taken the decision to move this on. From the start it was always destined to be a very slow moving project but these days I am mainly riding only half of my bikes, plus my next serious build is clearly heading in another, more modern direction - although still pre '98 though ;) . I did have some grand plans in place for this (jeez, I even started what was to be a 'proper' build thread!) but I can imagine that it will most likely be another year at least before these would come together and it seems a shame to keep it cooped up that long, especially when I know there are folk out there who can do this some real justice.

All of what I have relating to this is for sale as one package...this will include the following:

Paul Donuhue made fillet brazed frame and fork (frame number 124689) with double U-brake fittings front and rear (!). Measurements are 16" c-c, 19" c-t, ETT 21.5". Fork Steerer is 1" of course and will include what I think is it's icing on the cake - a matching custom made stem. The actual steel type is unknown but I am guessing from it's general weight/feel that it's either Tange Prestige or Reynolds 531 based on what I know (frame and fork both have Reynolds dropouts by the way).The frame has been badly sprayed/coated at some stage but this in turn has helped keep any serious rusting at bay it seems - there is a little material rattling inside frame and fork and a tiny amount of external rust veining here and there but no signs of serious damage or corrosion, I've had a good look inside the seat tube with a torch and can't see any real horrors and the bottom bracket shell is rust free.Obviously the frame needs a full overhaul/respray and decals shouldn't be too hard to find - I believe Gil on here has a file for example.

Various Deore XT M730 parts, which are presumed original to the bike. These include pedals, both mechs, headset (not pictured) seat Q/R, and - importantly - a complete pair of U-brakes. I would say that all these parts are useable and function fine but all need various degrees of TLC and refinishing, the headset will also need replacement bearings. I'll include one pair of NOS (correct) low profile 60 brake shoes and some NOS 4 finger brake levers as well. The strong seatpost is also included, this should polish up nicely I reckon and is the correct size for the frame.

Finally, one pair of Mavic M6 wheels on M730 hubs, again presumed original to the bike. These are thankfully in rather nice shape with no serious rim wear, although they are again in need of a good clean and regrease. They also seem to be surprisingly light as well. Spokes are stainless butted versions, they appear to be a little like sapims (some have what looks like an etched 's' on them?) but it's a wild guess.

So that's it! I would like to think that there is the basis of a good project for somebody to get stuck into there as autumn rolls by, and the end result will not only be a rare bike, but British made steel to boot. The detailing on the frame and fork are also superb, I'm lucky to have 3 other FB bikes and the quality of brazing is certainly as good as all of them, if not slightly better (not bad considering one is a Yates). There are lots of nice touches such as internal cable routing for the rear mech, embossed seat tube logo, twin down tube bosses...I could go on.

I'm asking for £220 posted in the UK for the whole package as listed above. There is no splitting offered at this stage, I would like to think that most of the parts can be restored to glory, as I had planned myself. Some pics are below and there are more on this link:
http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt23 ... e%20frame/

I'm not exactly the best photographer out there so let me know if you need any other images and I'll see what I can do :)

**Now SOLD**

Attachments

• 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 778
  • 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 779
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 777
  • 062.JPG