Fred Salmon, so where did he go? Also rate his components

dbmtb":38tbdoju said:
Radar":38tbdoju said:
<Just realised that Jason McRoy, Nick Craig, and Fred Salmon all live(d) in my village.

Or maybe the reason you are slow is because you're not buying the special stuff, visiting the local shop, or drinking your aqua vita.

QF (as he was known for reasons I won't go into) was regularly seen in Rusholme curry houses after races. Never met him but he was very well-liked on the Manchester scene as being a good egg but a bit of wheeler and dealer.

I am doing all those things - often bumped into David Millar buying carrot cake at the cornershop.

I had his grips with fish on them :LOL: very similar to Onza's in size and feel :D came with matching end caps with the fish painted white :D

They only came off the Marin when I stripped it down but one had started to split :-(

WD :D

As mentioned above I guess it was just generic far east anodized stuff with the Fred Salmon logo on it. Apart from the grips obviously.. who ever heard of anodized grips?!
Actually had some purple grips, very similar to the onza ones I thought...

Bought a Fred Salmon training log book at one BMBF event back in the early 90's. Great idea and I filled it in religiously!

Should still be in mummy's attic, so I'll dig it out and get a scan. Along with a load of retro race pics for another thread...

Radar":2qoff5yd said:
dbmtb":2qoff5yd said:
Radar":2qoff5yd said:
<Just realised that Jason McRoy, Nick Craig, and Fred Salmon all live(d) in my village.

Or maybe the reason you are slow is because you're not buying the special stuff, visiting the local shop, or drinking your aqua vita.

I am doing all those things - often bumped into David Millar buying carrot cake at the cornershop.

Really.... Even the drinking your aqua vita?
Harvey03.jpg

And I'm talking about the special stuff from the butchers and the local shop next to the grassy track at the top of the hill
LocalShopclosesmall.jpg
, not the corner shop.

Do you know when the circus is coming to town again?

"Hayfield - you'll never leave." - unless you're local, that is.

I'm sure you know this... LoG was filmed about 6 miles away in Hadfield. Some of the last series was filmed in Chinley, 4 miles the other way.
Hayfield isn't quite like that, apart from at May Queen time of year.

Radar":2h1tiqr0 said:
I'm sure you know this... LoG was filmed about 6 miles away in Hadfield.

That's just me getting my letters mixed up.... and my rotten memory. Our Peak district expeditions out from Manchester took in both towns en route so I've got them muddled up.

It was a long time ago though.

But 6 miles means you are STILL local - so it just about sticks. With a bit of good will.

Re:

"despite being ancient..."! He was born in 1965, and yeah he won a few races. Like that easy CX race up three mountains! His components were Fishy though.....

Fred Salmon is still in the same bike shop in Whaley Bridge. Unfortunately there’s no 90s bikes hanging around but it’s one of those shops that you can just tell was selling top end bikes BITD. He even gave me a set of NOS Fred Salmon neon bar end plugs! Shout if you’re requiring a set to finish off the retro build....

Back