Frames for the taller gentleman

I ride a 21" 2004 Fisher Cake for my everyday ride and it also has a 25 inch top tube, so it fits larger guys quite well. Gary Fisher is 6'2" plus and all the big size Fisher bikes are designed to accommodate big people with room to spare.

I don't think large size bikes need to look like gates, just as long as there's still a decent amount of slope in the top tube.

But I've never understood why most makers increase the head tube by say a half inch for every inch they increase the seat tube - so for every increase in size the top tube gets more horizontal. Fair enough if there's a dynamic advantage, but why should the bars get lower in relation to the saddle?

Taking Kona (sorry, but it's the one I happen to know), if you're 6-3 they recommend a seat tube 4" longer than if you were 5-3, but the head tube is only 2" longer between a size 16 and a size 20. That's presumably what causes the kind of shape you're talking about, but why does somebody a foot taller only need the bars 2" higher?

also unfortunately for me the longer the seat post, the longer the top tube, and I have a relatively short back so feel too stretched on most 21" bikes. I need a 21" seat tube with a 22" top tube, not 25"!

Fair enough if there's a dynamic advantage

Genuine question - What is the advntage of the sloping top tube?

If it is weight then surely its marginal beacause you have to compensate with a seat tube of less strength.

Is it to do with centre of gravity? This would be minimal too given that the big lump that is the rider is still a pendulum set at the same height above the ground [and I'm assuming that where the tyres meet the ground is the main pivot, although you could say there is another where the feet meet the pedals.]

Step over height is I guesss the main reason, but even a properly sized non sloper gives sufficient tackle clearance for all but the most enthusiastic free riders or low er swingers.

:)

Im 6'3"[1.91]
Im using an 18 " Raleigh frame before that it was an orange 21" frame
I'd say i by far prefer the smaller one

Great thread. :cool:

I'm one of the taller members but some of your bikes are huge. There are at least 3 members here whose bikes are too big for me to ride! And that comes from trying them at RB meets.

Large frames don't need to be gates. Its important to have other parts in proportion - stem, seatpost, and tyres. Skinny tyres can make a big bike look huge!

Lets see your big road bikes. I'm toying with buying a Colnago Master Pui (Art Deco) but the combination of 61cm frame and skinny tubes does makes it look gateish. Bigger than my modern Trek :shock:

doctor-bond":34xyzp26 said:
Genuine question - What is the advntage of the sloping top tube?

If it is weight then surely its marginal
Is it to do with centre of gravity?
Step over height is I guesss the main reason,

I'm afraid for most people it's mainly that sloping top tubes simply "look" better.

But larger 26" frames never achieve the balance of a well proportioned 17-18" frame. For that sort of balance you need to go 29er again.

Other than that it should reduce frame flex as all triangles get smaller and inherently stiffer.

Enjoy!!

Well its not steel but got thin tubes, my past 2000ish Trek 1400, looked quite gatish I think....

Foto-VV4OBEE6.jpg

Compared to the newer roadbike

Foto-LIBHBS4S.jpg

I'm afraid for most people it's mainly that sloping top tubes simply "look" better.

Your avatar pic compared to some of the moonrocket seatposts that these taller gents are enduring is testament to the fallacy of that argument.

;)

Latest posts

Back