FRAME IDENTIFICATION

According to the Evian {gb} ltd price list no 40 they imported Helyett as complete machines or just frame sets .Several models available . Pictures printed in the no 50 list and more information. They had Simplex rear ends and Stronglight H/S .

Helyett cycles based at 69 Manor park road Harlesden back then. Late 1950's early 60,s .
I can send your copies of what information I have if you would like them .

bagpuss":e4cve21m said:
According to the Evian {gb} ltd price list no 40 they imported Helyett as complete machines or just frame sets .Several models available . Pictures printed in the no 50 list and more information. They had Simplex rear ends and Stronglight H/S .

Helyett cycles based at 69 Manor park road Harlesden back then. Late 1950's early 60,s .

I remember the Evian ads in the back of Cycling in those days which featured these frames along with Simplex accessories etc. - plus Evian Spring Water. Possibly the first time a bottled water was advertised in the UK?

It'll never catch on you know. What sort of idiot would buy plain water IN A BOTTLE!!

Or was it in a can?

Quite clearly, the frame is worthy of restoring, and since I already have a number of components that are exactly right for it I will restore this one. It joins the queue behind 2 x Claud Butlers, an Allin, a F H Grubb and a Holdsworth (plus I have a 1930's BSA frame and a Brian Wilkins frame awaiting a decision). I have a feeling that the frame will be the easy bit.
Any information by way of scans of catalogues etc will be very gratefully received. PM me for email address. Thanks again everyone for the help. Steve

Old Ned":r5az4s20 said:
bagpuss":r5az4s20 said:

I remember the Evian ads in the back of Cycling in those days which featured these frames along with Simplex accessories etc. - plus Evian Spring Water. Possibly the first time a bottled water was advertised in the UK?

It'll never catch on you know. What sort of idiot would buy plain water IN A BOTTLE!!

Or was it in a can?

It was in a can .
Evian issued a water feeding bottle for all TDF riders .No other bottles allowed!? .
I wll post some pictures .

My favourite picture of Jacques Anquetil in the '57 TdF riding for the French national team. On the Galibier or similar. I think he had punctured or had a mechanical and was chasing madly to get back with the leaders. A real mask of pain on his face which makes him look much older than what he actually was. Riding his 'Helyett' (but was it?) and carrying the TdF bottle.

A scan from the 'Sporting Cyclist' TdF issue of 1957. No idea who the photographer was but he should have had an award for this!

Attachments

• AnquetilTdF57.A.jpg
    AnquetilTdF57.A.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 427
I agree. Great image !
I think you may well be right as he fell behind the leaders by about 5 minutes on the Galibier and then tried to catch them. He was (I think) 23 years old. Won the tour though. It is most certainly a Helyatt - the headbadge shape is distinctive. Note the Mafac brakes also.
I have to bring this one back to life - despite the odd style of the decals and the unfortunate (to my eyes) green enamel !

Back