Frame: custom paint advice and more

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've acquired a saracen race elite e-stay frame for a purpose I've had in mind for a while. I want to paint it white and give it to my kids to draw on before applying a top coat.

The plan for the bike is a keeper, so want to do it right and then throw on some nice parts once it has dried.

I was thinking that white powder coat would be the way to go, as this should be durable, but would this be a good canvas for the artwork (sounds grand but they are 6 and 3 so I expect some nice colours and hopefully a few nice pictures to be added).

The frame has a small ding somewhere, ideally I'd not want this when it's finished. Can a powder coater deep fill a ding, or will it need filling with something special as the powder won't stick to normal filler will it?

Paint pens are what's needed, don't think brushes will give a good result. Haven't done much research into these yet, but does anyone have any recommendations on the best type of paint to put on top of a powder coat?

Once the artwork has been applied, I had planned to get the frame lacquered. Would this influence the type of paint I'd need to use? Is this something I can do myself or would it be best to send it somewhere? I'd thought about some lacquer with flecks in, but not 100% sure, will probably depend on what the paint job looks like. I had a bike when I was much younger that had a lovely pearlescent job (blue buy looked purple or pink too depending on the light). Kind of like the idea of this but maybe it won't look as good with what I'm sure might be a Jackson pollock scheme.

I had planned on fitting custom, but original decals once done (over the final finish). Would it be best to plan ahead for these and ensure to leave voids in the paint job for them, or let the kids run wild, and see where the land lies decal wise once they've had their fun? I'd not want to cover up anything cool they've added.

Frame will be running v brakes or maguras but currently has a canti brace. For neatness I could sacrifice this, any special advice on removal (or calls to leave it on)? I was going to dremel off the main and file down what was left behind.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start to think about the build in more detail, but want to get the frame sorted and ready for the artists sooner rather than later.

I like the idea loads. My kids are 6 and (almost) 3 too...

Coloured Sharpies are good for this sort of thing. Not sure whether they'd react to a top coat though.

From what little i know, powder coating is applied to a metal surface.

You could fill the ding with solder, like it was done on cars way back ( actually lead was used but the idea is the same) im assuming its a steel frame.

Its very likely the powder coating company could do it if you are willing to pay.

Re:

Cheers for the replies.

On sharpies, not sure either. I know proper paint pens exist but need to research more on the paint they are available with.

As for frame, it is indeed steel. Not 100% sure how bad the dung is as it's still wrapped in bubble wrap in my garage.

I know there is some slight surface rust but assume the frame is blasted before coating which should take care of that.

Just checked the frame, dings are minimal so reckon I could live with them actually.

In two minds as to whether to go period-ish or my usual retro-mod style. Got a full xc-pro groupset doing nothing (though headset is 1 inch not the required 1 1/8, plus it's threaded and I prefer ahead). Also have some nos black Onza ho canti brakes in black or some silver control tech brakes. Hmmmmm.

Paint first, build decisions later I think or I'll never get started.

Back to paint and paint pens....

solder/lead isn't any good for filling under powder; well lead free may work.
80:20 solder melts around 183 degrees, curing temp is generally 180.

There are fillers that work with powder, think it's something to ask the
coater about, I fill with JB weld and coat over it. I am told Lab Metal is good.

Black sharpies are OK under 2K clear, I often write on paint coupons
and clear coat over them, without any sign of the clear effecting the writing.

Re:

Take a look at the Spray.bike paints (available from Brick lane bikes). Apparently it's like a spray on powdercoat that you apply straight on the old paint.

Am waiting for mine to turn up before I can report on how good it is but you can get high build primer and lacquer

Re:

i think a nice touch would be to get your little dudes finger prints our hand prints in the frame if you sprayed it yourself while the frame was just tacky enough then once dry lacquer over it

Back