Fracking River set on fire...

It's just a crap argument for me. We've all seen American taps (faucets if you like) with the flames before. Nothing new here.

We've also seen oil spills from tankers, wells and pipelines. Shit happens. But oil has given us heat, light, transport, production, materials not to mention the financial benefits. I know I'd rather the world with it that without it.

We talk about needing to create new industries with well paid jobs, the need to reduce our dependency on unstable foreign suppliers and to fill the government coffers. One comes along which would do all that and Swampy doesn't approve. :roll:

Swampy should keep schtum imo.

Re:

The Japanese and others are working hard on a fusion reactor. The Sun is a fkin huge fusion reactor that supplies much of the planets energy in its various forms. It's about controlling that incredible release of energy. Humans will do it. Sure there are other potential sources of clean energy too. It's prolly a good thing to increasingly choke off much of the revenue to traditional oil producers.

Feck the Japs, they are only concerned about their own arses.

We need to dump all the risky tech and just get back to candles and paperbacks.

highlandsflyer":yv842uj6 said:

I was going to reply via carrier pigeon but will make the most of the internet while the 'leccy's still on :D

There is so much investment in fossil fuel (from firms with lots of rich shareholders with political clout) that they would not let us have "Free energy" until every last penny has been squeezed from oil. They have no concern for the environment - My opinion is that they will be just fine breathing the tropical air in their island paradises while we deal with the pollution in our own humble abodes.

I read something last year that made me realise what a farce the whole VW/Car emissions scandal is. Consider this:

Confidential data from maritime industry insiders based on engine size and the quality of fuel typically used by ships and cars shows that just 15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760m cars. Low-grade ship bunker fuel (or fuel oil) has up to 2,000 times the sulphur content of diesel fuel used in US and European automobiles.

pollution from the world's 90,000 cargo ships leads to 60,000 deaths a year and costs up to $330bn per year in health costs from lung and heart diseases.

And here we are being that those head-chopping nutters are our biggest worry.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -pollution

J i m s t e r":30icexlg said:
highlandsflyer":30icexlg said:

I was going to reply via carrier pigeon but will make the most of the internet while the 'leccy's still on :D

There is so much investment in fossil fuel (from firms with lots of rich shareholders with political clout) that they would not let us have "Free energy" until every last penny has been squeezed from oil. They have no concern for the environment - My opinion is that they will be just fine breathing the tropical air in their island paradises while we deal with the pollution in our own humble abodes.

I read something last year that made me realise what a farce the whole VW/Car emissions scandal is. Consider this:

Confidential data from maritime industry insiders based on engine size and the quality of fuel typically used by ships and cars shows that just 15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760m cars. Low-grade ship bunker fuel (or fuel oil) has up to 2,000 times the sulphur content of diesel fuel used in US and European automobiles.

pollution from the world's 90,000 cargo ships leads to 60,000 deaths a year and costs up to $330bn per year in health costs from lung and heart diseases.

And here we are being that those head-chopping nutters are our biggest worry.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -pollution

Good intel ! A chap on PHeads who works in the petrochemical indy stated last ur, there are enough hydrocarbon deposits to last for at least another 100yrs or more at present usage rates. Their lobbying power is incalculable.

I'm still convinced man will invent a better cleaner source of energy in the next 25yrs maybe less. It won't be any cheaper for the end user, we can be sure if that.

I don't sign online petitions at the best of times but that one's particularly futile.

Fracking is happening. If there's energy underneath us we will get it out. Quite rightly.

Re:

Best keep at least one bike in good functioning order, so that when everything electronic fails (bcz of an EMP or other reason), you can still get yourself from point A to point B.

technodup":3hn1po1o said:
I don't sign online petitions at the best of times but that one's particularly futile.

Fracking is happening. If there's energy underneath us we will get it out. Quite rightly.

I hope it happens in your neck of the woods mate, i'm sure that you'll be all for it then ;)

Latest posts

Back