Fox Vanilla Float RC rear shock issues - solveable...??

Re:

Negotiations are going well, he's a bit perturbed as he's looked for another shock on the bay and can't find anything, so he's now worried the frame could be next to useless. Waiting for him to get back to me with a partial refund offer, then I'll be on it to find another shock asap.

Presuming if I find something like a Monarch, SID, etc, with the right eye to eye and stroke, that it will need different mounting hardware....?

Re:

It's spot on 165mm eye to eye, with just under 40mm of body exposed, oooh er missus :shock: so I assume that makes it a 38mm stroke....?

Re:

Shouldn't be plenty to choose from then, since the late 90s Marins all used 165 and then for a while after.

And the Marins are as common as muck.

Loads on eBay, tend to go for up to 60£ for a fox air though in good condition.

I'm in no way an expert on these things, just saying what I know from looking for one and researching for my as yet unbuilt as it's not at my house Marin thing and everyone was riding one last night in a Marin night. Whey these things and not real Marin of the early 90s I don't know. So take others advice :)

Re:

Ha, thanks Fluff, I've told the seller they're rocking horse manure knowing they probably aren't, and an upgrade would be nice so looks like it could be pretty straight forward.

Of course, with a bit of time and patience I may be able to resurrect this one, but as we said, with that dent....I need to try and get a better pic of it later, could be it's too shallow and too far back to actually be a major problem.

Cheers for all the help guys, much appreciated!

I had a fox shock that wouldn't take/hold air. An easy fix in the end, the valve where the pump attached had cone loose so a couple of quid for a valve replacement kit including spare valves was all it took.

Something doesn't look right with the shock shaft to me, unless it is me and using my phone, it looks like it is in two pieces, most of which is the gold colour, then silver. I've got a shock like this and don't recall seeing that, maybe inside the dust seal perhaps but not visible?

Re:

I assume you mean the 2nd pic down? Well, if you looked at it on a proper sized screen instead of a poxy wee phone sized screen it might help. :LOL:
What I think you are seeing is the reflection of the top of the knurled collar around the shock shaft. There's some dirt on the collar next to shaft around 2 o'clock and I can see the same shape in the silver/grey colour on the shaft.

Re:

:LOL:

I think OCP's right Ian, it's just a reflection and dirt....

Still not heard back from the seller re how much refund I'm getting, too much more messing around and it will be going through ebay's claim procedure, which seems a shame as things had been very polite up til now. But, either way, this will be coming off today and I'll be trying a few things to get it working. Would be great if a bit of fettling and some WD40 could at least get it moving!

For what it's worth, I missed out on another one on ebay last night, shock that is, had been TFT tuned and had heavy duty bush kit, went for £34..... :facepalm:

So they are out there, which is good.

I've got a few 165mm shocks that I had even collecting for a project (not quite sure how or why I ended up with so many). If you let me know what you are after I can check to see if I have anything spare that fits the bill.

Back