Fox Float rear shock issue, anyone help?

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Evening all. A mate has asked me to give his GT I Drive 5.0 ( around 2004, but I can't find an exact match ) a service. As far as all the usial bike stuff goes, I am having no problems, but the rear shock is a new thing on me ( My Marin has a coilover )
I decided to start by releasing the air pressure and when I did, a huge quantity of dirty water shot out ( Smelled foul too ) The shock now moves ( Though needs pumping up ) Has anyone had a similar issue with one of these, and anyone know how to proceed?

Many thanks all.

Sounds like is needs a good service which unless you have a nitrogen charger you can't do. You can however do an air can service and change the "can" seals - sounds like it's got a ton of hrs on the shock or it's been jetwashed n water forced past the seals. It might if your lucky be in good shape when you take the can off, however it will probably be corroded with years of water. If this is the case it's probably not worth spending the money on and just give it a clean best you can and put it back together with a bit of oil n grease

The mojo website has a video of how to do this bud

Istr that you put a rag through the eyelet when uscrewing the body to stop the can flying away.

You tube will have videos to be sure.

Thanks guys - found a manual and instructions for an air can service :) It's moving freely now. The owner however doesn't have a pump. Obviously. :D

Going by the volume of water emptied from the shock, it appears the owner is not exactly over endowed with clues either.

Back