forks help

outlander

Old School Hero
I'm Thinking of puting some suspension forks on my bike. It's a 531 frame with 501 forks.

The forks are 1'' threaded, length of steerer 145mm inc thread. Thread is 40mm

What Forks do you guys recommend, Nothing to expensive

short travel!! maybe an Rock Shox Indy S - I'm sure the lads & lasses on here will have better suggestions however :)

Dead Rats":122wwgrt said:
short travel!! maybe an Rock Shox Indy S - I'm sure the lads & lasses on here will have better suggestions however :)

That's bloody long travel mate ;)

Look for forks up to about 1995 if you really must get some.
MAG21's or similar Quadra's or the PACE/Manitou/etc.. equivalent.

I would think Quadra's/MAG's would go as they tens to suit the skinny bikes a bit better. Spray the crown Pink and the legs black and they'll fit in fine.

Though honest opinion is not to bother. What's your reason to wanting them.

FluffyChicken":1sd8z2ej said:
Though honest opinion is not to bother. What's your reason to wanting them.

Just been using the bike a bit more off road recently. Was toying with the idea for making it a smoother ride.

Been looking at some forks. Don't seem to be alot of 1'' threaded about

The forks will smooth it out a bit but only at the front end, but get yourself some bigger tires first and see how that goes. It looks to have quite skinny hybrid tyres on it at the moment.

FluffyChicken":xqq06q5w said:
The forks will smooth it out a bit but only at the front end, but get yourself some bigger tires first and see how that goes. It looks to have quite skinny hybrid tyres on it at the moment.

The tires are Hutchinson 1.5's. The problem with bigger tires, there's not much room between the chain stay and tyre

What should be the minimum clearance be?

I agree with fluffy on the fork choice. As for tires and clearance, I'd say as long as there's a bit it'll be fine (except in really sticky mud). Try a wider tread and as long as it doesn't touch the stay you'll be good to go.

Be sure about suspension! Whatever suspension forks you get will change the 'feel' of the bike, certainly on the road and especially up hills.

TBH, were I given the choice, I'd go for rigid off-road rather than suspension on the road.

You may be able to get a 1.9 in there.

Back