Forks for Hei Hei

Caramba Kid":1d1h3yer said:
Well the frame number wasn't any use for ID but I then sent some photos & they've said it's a 1992 Sandvik frame.
Also that Merlin only made the very first frames for 1 year, with a unique BB shell.
Learn something new every day!
That's very interesting. I had previously understood that it was the bullet stays that indicated TST/Sandvik built frames.

They make it sound as though there was a big parting of the ways between 1990 and 1991. The 1990 catalogue has a ti bike called the Titanium which is clearly a Merlin design with Kona decals, it doesn't look like a Kona. The catalogue is also half Brodie and feeds off the association with Brodie as a prestigious name in hand building. Paul also finished and painted all Konas at that time. There was no Hot, and effectively the Brodie Catalyst played the role of the Hot in 1990.

However Kona may not have taken altogether kindly to Paul's view of Konas as 'poor men's Brodies', because by 1991 there was no mention of him. The Hot, looking very much like a Catalyst, had been invented and was being made by Tom Teesdale, who doesn't sound like the kind of guy who would call a Kona a poor man's Teesdale. And the Hei Hei had been invented to replace the Titanium. I didn't know they split with Merlin that early though.

Neil G":en1vb82g said:
Anyone got any pics of a Hei Hei with rigids other than P2s on?

This one DID have the Vicious Cycles fork when Carl owned it.
Not sure if it still does?
They look similar to a P2, but nicer.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53319

Pace rigids may also be acceptable.

Anything else could be regarded as heresy and would need to be pre-approved by the Retrobike Committee, for both legal and aesthetic reasons.

It's for your own good, really:

simpsons_nelson_haha2.gif

Back